Thread: Black Powder Rifles...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    so which did you get aleale13 ???
    ied like to get a bp rifle too, but only have use of a 25m range with a .45 cal max

currently neither as funding has been an issue, but looking more towards the deer hunter in .45
    ... BOOM!

thats kool hope you get one, held ardsea ranger .45 think was 225, felt good,
    Last edited by gtpkeeper; 15-10-2014 at 06:48 AM.

Parker-Hale Musketoon .577 ball? how big is that compared to say .44 anyone got a pic
    what sort of power does it produce with 45gr of bp

whats the difference between Artillery Carbine and Musketoon Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    Parker-Hale Musketoon .577 ball? how big is that compared to say .44 anyone got a pic
    what sort of power does it produce with 45gr of bp

whats the difference between Artillery Carbine and Musketoon Carbine
    I've never fired a ball in my Musketoon, since it was designed to shoot a Minié/Pritchett bullet and not a ball, so I can't help you there. Over in the real world, folks DO shoot ball from this kind of a gun, with varying degrees of success from great to sh1te.

Anyhow, I'll try and answer your questions, even though I'm a troll and a numptie and a total waste of space, as well as a know-SFA blowhard who has never EVER posted anything useful in his life....

First of all. let's make one thing clear, it's not the amount [or type] of propellant, it's the velocity resulting from that using amount of propellant, and there are so many variables where actual amounts are concened that we can ignore it and concentrate on the two things that matter in the equation - weight of shot and muzzle velocity. THAT will give us the resultant muzzle energy, or 'power' as you call it.

A .58cal lead ball weighs ~295gr, and a .44cal lead ball weighs ~128gr.

From my Parker-Hale Musketoon/Artillery carbine - the same thing - a 535gr Lyman Minié bullet over 55gr of FFg exits the barrel at ~1175fps. That makes 1640 ft lbs/2224 J.

IF you were to fire a ball from it, then you would have to make a few assumptions, so we'll try out a simple lead ball at the same muzzle velocity as the Minié bullet - BANG - 905 ft lbs/1226 J.

In contrast, the 128gr ball at 1100 fps [Ruger Old Army and 30gr of FFFg] makes 344 ft lbs/466 J.

Any use to you?

tac

thank you tac it helps

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    thank you tac it helps
    Happy to help, me.

tac, so simple he has no working parts.