Thread: 80y FAC accuracy

COROVICD Guest

80y FAC accuracy

What rifle, in .22, is more accurate at extreme FAC range: Rapid Mk2 or Daystate MK3 (not theoretically but practically)?

What would group sizes be at 80y with .22 FAC?

Electronics v. Mechanics so to say. Please get overexcited.

cheers, dejan
    Last edited by COROVICD; 09-06-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    I dont know about just theise two models but a full power PCP is very accurate if conditions are optimal.

In the sweetspot I can get about 10 shots at a 10 fps spread shooting Crosman Premiers Heavy at 975 fps using my 177 FX Airguns Typhoon.

This makes a 10-shot serie at sub 2.00" possible at 100 yards.

Dejan,

...not a proper answer but replies are a bit thin so far...

My FAC Rapid MK2 (Sshh! .177) did do very well - my current late model Mk 2 Huntsman does it now - I'm talking about real world, humane accuracy & power delivery at long range.

I'm sure there's a lot of very accurate combos - just hold them steady and be astounded at what they can do.

A good scope doesn't hurt, either.

HTH, Regards, Ed

COROVICD Guest
    Ok, Ed W, so what would your groups at 80yards be?

cheers, dejan

Hello Dejan,

For FAC, I zero at 50yards in .22, 55 yards in .177 and then do real world drop offs for 60, 70, 80 & 90 yards for the outfit using a duplex reticle - I'm not keen on a cluttered view through the scope.

I don't benchrest, but use field techniques (standing, sitting, rested on bag/bipod etc).

If I think a shot is "on", I take it. Stillair saw some of the long range results last night.

I mostly go for side head shots, where possible.

HTH, Regards, Ed

COROVICD Guest
    There is a clash of mentalitiy here. You talk like intuitive guy, while I am quite numerically point-of-fact type (PIA in friendly circles). Can you hit a rabbit, on a regular basis in a still air, at 80y, in a head, with FAC .22 or only from time to time.

dejan

If conditions are right (wind, clear view etc, no guesswork), I'll take the shot, but I can't emphasize enough, conditions must be right. I'm taking live animals not paper targets. If I have a doubt, I don't take the shot.

A surprizing number of rabbits like my aftershave and insist on letting me get a little closer, though

HTH, Regards, Ed

Hi dejan,

I thought you might be on here asking some FAC questions after the other night!

You know my thoughts. The Rapid is lighter than the MK3. Remember your impressions from Tues night.

Get a Taylored job from Ben - you wont regret it mate.

BTW... Many thanks again.

Kirk
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

COROVICD Guest
    Hi Kiriak,

I am asking the questions because your Rapid Mk2 was so good. Only thing is I would just to put some empirical figures behind it.

It was nice meeting you anyway.

cheers, dejan

Quote Originally Posted by COROVICD
    Hi Kiriak,

I am asking the questions because your Rapid Mk2 was so good. Only thing is I would just to put some empirical figures behind it.
    Would love to agree.... only I have no idea what empirical means!!!!!
    After all that is said and done - More is said, than done!

I think Ed W may be using my old Daystate and I know it will hit a Rabbits head at extreme range for FAC air rifle with no problem, in fact it makes it quite easy

Baz

That's the one, Baz...Superb!

Regards, Ed

How much holdover are you applying at 80 yards? I admit I wouldn't have the confidence to headshoot anything with an air rifle at that range - for me 80 yards is centre mass with a Winmag.
    Good deals with: Baz, foxshooter, vbull, leadhead, Gary C/Slim Shady, coddy, rixy, David, Baldie, BoNeS, mjonho, Reeco.

Hello Chris,

The system that works for me from 12fp through C/fire is based on using known "drop offs" from zero and using scopes with duplex reticles.

I translate the paper target results into points on the duplex, not having to worry about should I use holdover of 3.5" or 5.75" etc, etc. and I seldom use more than 8x.

I will use my lazer rangefinder as often as possible to accurately measure features so that if a rabbit etc pops out, I know the distance.

...and as I said, above - conditions permitting, if the shot is on...

HTH, Regards, Ed

Top of the ears does the job at 75yds for me Chris. Not forgetting a perfect rest and leica rf800 to reduce the required input from the nut behind the butt to a minimum.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.