Thread: Webley Typhoon

Webley Typhoon

Having just bought most of a tatty Typhoon and trying to decide what to do with it - repair - customise - or break for spares I went to my boxed, mint one to check on certain features.

It was at this point that I realised (I had not looked at it for some time) that my Typhoon had black grips.

I have just read the Typhoon chapter in the Bruce bible which states that the grips were brown to make them different from the Hurricane, he does not mention anything about black grips.

So, does anyone know when/why/where black grips for the Typhoon came from? Before anyone asks, yes they are genuine Webley grips, I think that the longest the gun has been out of its box was when I fitted the 'scope and it certainly has not been messed with.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

Just checked- mine is the common brown gripped variety!!

I think the Hurricane and Tempest have a slightly larger frame so someone couldn't have put Hurricane or Tempest grips on

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Just checked- mine is the common brown gripped variety!!

I think the Hurricane and Tempest have a slightly larger frame so someone couldn't have put Hurricane or Tempest grips on

John
    Hi John

Not possible, the grip on the Typhoon was deliberatey smaller for young hands to grip it, it was another reason for the brown grip, to identify it as being smaller.

Anyone out there got a blck grip version??????
    lodmoor

I think that the earlier models had black grips on them. That would be around 1977/8. I remember seeing them in the shops at the time, as I really wanted a Hurricane at the time. Webley really knew how to present an air pistol in those days. They had lovely big, flip-top boxes with a red, furry liner. It had places for all the accessories and your pellets. The Typhoon did have a smaller grip size and reduced spring, as some have already stated. Great pistols.

ATB
    Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    I think that the earlier models had black grips on them. That would be around 1977/8. I remember seeing them in the shops at the time, as I really wanted a Hurricane at the time. Webley really knew how to present an air pistol in those days. They had lovely big, flip-top boxes with a red, furry liner. It had places for all the accessories and your pellets. The Typhoon did have a smaller grip size and reduced spring, as some have already stated. Great pistols.

ATB
    Andy.
    Hi Andy

Interesting, as Bruce makes no mention of black grips, only brown, it would make sense, an early change to make the smaller Typhoon stand out.

Incidentially mine has the flip top box, red furry liner, target holder and the correct 'scope.
    lodmoor

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The brown grips were originally there to fulfill a large order from the Brownies placed in the summer of 1979. It never reached the Owls for distribution as the MoD diverted the pistols to its Pilots Pistol training programme for the RAF, subsequent to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Keen to save money, the cash-strapped RAF used the air-pistols to get the men up to speed, as they were only allowed 5 live rounds practice per year for their issue Walther PPs.

The colour has nothing to do with the smaller grip, which is obvious. It is well known that RAF pilots have small, ladylike hands.

Yes I have boxed examples of both black and brown gripped typhoons.

Hsing-ee, are you sure you have nothing to do with stockings?

Anyway, re balck/brown, has anyone any idea of dates re change? Black first? Run out of brown, got bored so made black etc etc etc.

OK so it is anorak time but it could be important in dating Typhoons - oh dear, anoraks again.

lodmoor

Didn't webley make brown grips as an option on some of the other pistols? I seem to remember protek supplies selling a pair of webley brown grips for a Tempest a while back

Yes, they were a special order and advertised as wood effect. I have a mint Tempest with said grips fiitted.

The Typhoon grips were just brown.
    lodmoor

I thought so to be honest I think the brown grips look better my typhoon has brown grips I think it sets it off nicely

i have a mint pair of black coloured typhoon grips available for trade in anyones interested.
    would anyone happen to have a spare tyhoon forend they would be willing to part with?

cheers,

andy