Thread: Word to the Wise

Word to the Wise

Having purchased a complete pre war BSA, i determined to have a look at the guns internal condition this I did as Edbear has advised in the past not to shoot it until having a look at the insides. I had cocked and released the gun at the owners house prior to buying and this was holding nicely.

Having got the gun home it sat in my cupboard for a week or two prior to finding time to look at it, the stock needed an oil but besides this was in good condition, the rear sight is seized and i will consult with higher powers on how to sort this it certainly looks like someone has gripped it in the past.

trigger guard off under lever disconnected and cylinder unscrewed. Out dropped a few coils of spring, followed by 2 short springs. I yet again will consult with Ed about this.

Piston removed good condition and leather seal in place but quite dry, at least the seal was there and no squashed pellets imbedded on this one, yet again i shall talk to the master.

Having rebuilt the gun i checked it still held when cocked, all fine. Except one thing looked, in the tap when open and a pellet was sat in there, how i haven't sucked this into the cylinder or fired it out the barrel at home or at the sellers premises, or if stopped by the police found to have a loaded weapon.

lesson learnt check first.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Having purchased a complete pre war BSA, i determined to have a look at the guns internal condition this I did as Edbear has advised in the past not to shoot it until having a look at the insides. I had cocked and released the gun at the owners house prior to buying and this was holding nicely.

Having got the gun home it sat in my cupboard for a week or two prior to finding time to look at it, the stock needed an oil but besides this was in good condition, the rear sight is seized and i will consult with higher powers on how to sort this it certainly looks like someone has gripped it in the past.

trigger guard off under lever disconnected and cylinder unscrewed. Out dropped a few coils of spring, followed by 2 short springs. I yet again will consult with Ed about this.

Piston removed good condition and leather seal in place but quite dry, at least the seal was there and no squashed pellets imbedded on this one, yet again i shall talk to the master.

Having rebuilt the gun i checked it still held when cocked, all fine. Except one thing looked, in the tap when open and a pellet was sat in there, how i haven't sucked this into the cylinder or fired it out the barrel at home or at the sellers premises, or if stopped by the police found to have a loaded weapon.

lesson learnt check first.

Lee
    hello Lee, I think you have a broken spring or someone has made it up in bits and pieces, depending on model there should be either a single spring or two springs, however the Master will put this right in 10 mins, I wouldn't use it until you have spoken to him

H