Thread: Benjamin GS397, valuation wanted.

Benjamin GS397, valuation wanted.

As title, I brought this item about twenty years ago, sold it on and then brought it back recently. It's not been used in that time and might require a seal change, which I wouldn't be interested in doing myself, as it's a "Pentagon" version and modified by the manufacturer to be 6ftlbs or so. It's got the box that it came in when first purchased, although I think that the boxes are the same for all calibres although I can't remember the precise details as I seem to remember buying one in all three calibres at the time and might have inadvertently switched boxes. It's Nickel plated and all but as good as the day I brought it. As far as I am aware they were made over the period 1991 to 1994 and I brought it as old stock a few years after that. I've got piccies available but can't host them at present.

Could anyone out there hazard a guess at value please so that I can get around to posting a sales listing, and when I do so, is it a "collectable" or a run of the mill "airgun for sale".

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Vic Thompson.

I have 2 of these both nickel plated -- a GS392 (.22) and a GS397 (.177). Nice CO2 guns although, as you say, not very powerful -- on a warm day mine do about 8/9 ft lbs.

It's difficult to put a valuation on yours (especially if it requires resealing) but I wouldn't let either of mine go for anything less than £250.

thanks for the posting, £250 sounds good if I could wait for a strong market, but what do you think a fair asking price would be for "moving it on" ?

Regards, Vic Thompson.

For some reason the CO2 versions of the 392/397 are nowhere near as popular as their pump-up counterparts and consequently are not as sought after.

I'm certainly no expert but if it needs resealing (which, incidentally, can be done by Lawrie Amatruda who lives just up the road from you) I would say you would be fortunate to get £150 in todays market -- but if it still holds gas, I stand by my original estimate of £250.

I would again emphasize this is very much my personal opinion and may be biased by my own liking for these cracking little rifles.

thanks for the input. I don't really know if it needs re-sealing or not, but it hasn't been used for years, and I always think that doesn't do the seals in a CO2 gun any favours. I've just put a CO2 Capsule in it, and it holds gas in the short term and cocks and fires, I'll see if it is still "gassed up" tomorrow. If so, I'd guess that it's useable over the course of fire given by one capsule.

Vic Thompson.

Vic

I never leave my rifles "gassed up" for more than a couple of days or so after which I shoot off all the remaining CO2.

Gas consumption varies depending on whether it's warm or cold and from gun to gun -- these and the Sheridan F9 are "gas hogs".

For what it's worth, I generally get around 25 decent shots and it takes about another 10/15 shots to completely empty the 12g capsule.

Allan