Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK2 Srvice rifle Valuation please

MK2 Srvice rifle Valuation please

A close friend has asked me if I could see about selling his MK2 Only problem I have no idea what its worth.
    The condition isn't great but it does shoot. It has been kept in a workshop for the best part of 10 years and is covered in surface rust. The stock is in a well used condition I would say. The are a number of marks on the stock and looks well soiled where the stock meets the action. The front sight is missing and the front pin where the barrel hinges has been replaced and the action has some marks where the pin has been cut. The barrel is .22 and is the only one supplied.
    Im having issues uploading photos for some unknown reason but will post a link when its live. Dam computers
    BSA scorpion T10
    Webley Nemesis
    Gunpower stealth

£250 ,,,,

Have managed to upload photos to photo bucket please try the link below

http://s803.photobucket.com/user/drm...ervice%20rifle.

Thanks in advance.
    BSA scorpion T10
    Webley Nemesis
    Gunpower stealth

Thumbs up

Regarding the open rearsight, if your friend wanted to replace it, a Webley mk3 fits

I bought a set of WEbley mk3 sights from fleabay just to replace the rear one

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by dmeader View Post
    A close friend has asked me if I could see about selling his MK2 Only problem I have no idea what its worth.
    The condition isn't great but it does shoot. It has been kept in a workshop for the best part of 10 years and is covered in surface rust. The stock is in a well used condition I would say. The are a number of marks on the stock and looks well soiled where the stock meets the action. The front sight is missing and the front pin where the barrel hinges has been replaced and the action has some marks where the pin has been cut. The barrel is .22 and is the only one supplied.
    Im having issues uploading photos for some unknown reason but will post a link when its live. Dam computers

Hello,

Third Series Webley Mk2 Services don't seem to be making the prices they should just recently and this example would seem to be in pretty poor cosmetic condition. The cost of restoration would probably be prohibitive, so it would be better sold as a 'shooter' or heaven forbid, broken for spares. Unfortunately, on this basis, I would only estimate this particular rifle at around £100.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 02-05-2014 at 05:17 PM.

l would put it at about £200+ as the barrel alone is worth around £140.

I'm with the £200 + estimate. Put it up at or near £300 to test resolve 'cos there are people out here that like to do the restoration anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    I'm with the £200 + estimate. Put it up at or near £300 to test resolve 'cos there are people out here that like to do the restoration anyway.
    £300 is a bit steep, for what I can see in the pics. Having recently bought a very nice one for that price - thanks Micky- I would of thought Micky's £200 ish is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by battyone View Post
    £300 is a bit steep, for what I can see in the pics. Having recently bought a very nice one for that price - thanks Micky- I would of thought Micky's £200 ish is about right.
    I'd have thought £300 was a good starting point for negotiations.

You can always do a price drop if there's no interest.

All the best Mick

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I'd quite like one - but there's no way I'd pay over £100 for this.
    I think when it comes to valuations on here - there are some that list what they'd like to think their guns are worth

I certainly wouldn't sell it for £100 as the barrel's worth more than that, let alone the rear peep sight, so you've possibly got £200+ in those two items alone, dependent on condition.
    I would estimate £250 to be a realistic figure, judging by the general condition shown in the photographs.

Just as a matter of interest, the cost of the available major pattern parts from John Knibbs for a Mk.II Service 3rd. pattern would be approximately £500, and that doesn't include the stock, trigger block, breech lock or any of the various screws and pins, so why would anyone suggest the rifle, with presumably original Webley parts, is only worth £100, even allowing for some wear.
    I don't like the idea old rifles being broken up for spares, this model in particular, but judging by some of the low estimates given for this particular rifle, versus the prices these spares realise on Eb@y whenever offered for sale, I don't blame anyone for going down that route.
    As for the comment that higher valuations come from people who'd like to think that's what their gun is worth, I would suggest the low valuations come from people who don't want to pay what a gun is actually worth.
    Everyone loves a bargain, but some just extract the urine.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    As for the comment that higher valuations come from people who'd like to think that's what their gun is worth, I would suggest the low valuations come from people who don't want to pay what a gun is actually worth.
    This is exactly what I thought of the £100 valuation.

And as a sale section starting price I still say £300 as a starting point.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, the cost of the available major pattern parts from John Knibbs for a Mk.II Service 3rd. pattern would be approximately £500, and that doesn't include the stock, trigger block, breech lock or any of the various screws and pins, so why would anyone suggest the rifle, with presumably original Webley parts, is only worth £100, even allowing for some wear.
    I don't like the idea old rifles being broken up for spares, this model in particular, but judging by some of the low estimates given for this particular rifle, versus the prices these spares realise on Eb@y whenever offered for sale, I don't blame anyone for going down that route.
    Hi David,

Valuations can often be a very personal thing dependent on personal taste and maybe an inability to recognise potential through obvious faults. I've always believed things are worth what somebody is prepared to pay at the time. This has often been borne out at auctions where I have seen nice Mk2 Services go unsold at relatively low estimates and the odd one in much poorer condition sell for well over the higher estimate. I too hate to see classic air guns broken for spares, but at least the usable parts can live on in perhaps better overall condition examples that just need the odd replacement part. I would see this particular Mk2 as appealing to somebody who just wants 'an example' irrespective of condition or to use as a source of spare parts. This would obviously reduce the number of potential buyers, so although it sounds a bit mean, I would still think that somewhere between £100-£150 would be a realistic estimate in current financial circumstances.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 04-05-2014 at 09:41 AM.

If we're going to start valuing air guns on their parts values we'll all be broke!

A MkII peep sight was on the bay last week for £100... it didn't sell..

But if we look at the 2 suggested parts prices so far, barrel £140 and peepsight £100 then we're already at £240 !!!

I'd happily pay £200 for this rifle, but if the seller needs more then he's probably already thinking about breaking after comments made on here.

It's missing both open sights and had the pivot pin butchered, even without the "patina" acquired while being stored in a workshop how can it be worth the same as a complete tidy rifle???

When I was looking for one a couple of weeks back I was offered 3 from kind folks on here, the one I bought £300 with one lock screw missing and a slightly wobbly stock, otherwise very good overall condition. A perfect example in expected external condition for it's age and 100% complete £400 and a restored rifle for £450. Both of these destined for Bisley and no doubt sold at those prices!

Too many times prices are compared to the astronomical figures quoted by dealers or G**s**r !!!

Anyone on here paid £750 for a MkII? Except boxed with 2 barrels- at least - and accessories