Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MK2 Srvice rifle Valuation please

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    l would put it at about £200+ as the barrel alone is worth around £140.
    I based my valuation on the one l sold on here a few weeks ago for £300 and one l sold for £280 2 years ago both of which were in much better condition. l realised l could have got more for them if l had broken them for spares on Eb**.

Quote Originally Posted by battyone View Post
    If we're going to start valuing air guns on their parts values we'll all be broke!

A MkII peep sight was on the bay last week for £100... it didn't sell..

But if we look at the 2 suggested parts prices so far, barrel £140 and peepsight £100 then we're already at £240 !!!
    A .22 Knibbs barrel is £155 and a Knibbs apeture sight is £105, both plus postage and RFD fees in the case of the barrel, and you take a chance that they might fit without fettling.
    It amazes me that people think they should pay less for a good used original part than they would for a new - take a chance it will fit - pattern part, which, in the case of the particular rifle under discussion, automatically reduces it's ultimate value.
    I agree, you can't price most guns on their worth as spares, even though it's often a more profitable sales prospect, but if prospective buyers aren't prepared to pay the going rate, what other options to sellers have, apart from putting their gun back on the shelf.
    I agree, some of the prices asked on G***** are a lot more than I would expect, but the point is that the particular seller who asks such high prices sells a lot of them, not all in the UK, even if it does take a while.
    If a seller wants to sell a gun for less than it's true value, that's entirely their perogative.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Let's get serious here....the rifle in question doesn't have a 'patina'...its pitted with rust!
    Based on some i have recovered from damp sheds in the past - there is probably some wastage between close fitting or wooden parts where the rust eats in...the bore could be be rusty as well.
    Possibly you could find some nutter to part with £300 for it, but as the saying goes 'a fool and his money are swiftly parted' and there's no way I would want to try and reclaim this for that sort of money when another ton would find me a very nice example that hadn't been neglected in the first place.

Good morning and thank you to everyone who has replied to this thread. All very good points made, it's not in a good condition and wil need some love but it is a functioning rifle so hopefully this will earn it some points if it comes up for sale. I will speak to my friend in the week and see how the value sits with him. I know he won't want to break it for spares so it will only be sold as a complete rifle.
    Will update when I know more.

Thanks again I wasn't expecting so many replies, I would have posted back sooner but didnt subscribe to the thread to rcieve emails when replies were received.
    BSA scorpion T10
    Webley Nemesis
    Gunpower stealth

If your friend was to lightly go over the metalwork with some very fine grade wire wool and a drop of oil, and clean the stock, it might improve the appearance and make the gun more attractive to prospective buyers.

Rear sight for her on Da bay Item No 301174298426

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    If your friend was to lightly go over the metalwork with some very fine grade wire wool and a drop of oil, and clean the stock, it might improve the appearance and make the gun more attractive to prospective buyers.
    Please don't say things like that I have already talked myself out of taking I it off his hands and doing some tinkering with it. Now I'm thinking about it again. I had seen pictures before when he said some years ago he had one and didn't really care to much. Now I've seen it in the flesh I do kind of want it.
    BSA scorpion T10
    Webley Nemesis
    Gunpower stealth

Quote Originally Posted by dmeader View Post
    Please don't say things like that I have already talked myself out of taking I it off his hands and doing some tinkering with it. Now I'm thinking about it again. I had seen pictures before when he said some years ago he had one and didn't really care to much. Now I've seen it in the flesh I do kind of want it.
    If you are thinking about doing it up, grab that rear sight from da bay pronto

Quote Originally Posted by dmeader View Post
    Depending on how much he decides to ask for it, if you've got the time, skills and inclination, why not give it a go. If your efforts prove succesful, you'll end up with something you can be proud of, or, if not, you can always pass it on, or break it up , if it seems like you're getting nowhere fast.