Thread: Webley Excel .22

Webley Excel .22

Hey guys,

Just after a bit more info on these? Google doesn't seem to come up with much.

This guns almost as old as I am. Not sure when my dad picked it up but it's what I learned to shoot with as a lad. Equipped with a nikko Stirling 4x32 silver crown scope. It's a heavy beast (or maybe I'm just not familiar enough with air rifle weights!)

The serial is 855842. Don't know if you can get age from this. Or a rough value?

Was thinking about trying to strip it down and the grease some parts so any info or guides etc would be a help. Be nice to give it a new lease of life before I buy a new springer!

Cheers

Late 80's Vulcan variant.
    Vulcan without a safety catch, and a simpler stock design, most components interchangeable with Vulcan.
    Marketed as a youths rifle / light weight hunter when launch, also used "silent spring" tech - (a nylon spring guide, they worked but didn't last forever, plastic on them eventually deteriorating)
    Came out a little after BSA brought in the Superport which it undercut by a couple of pounds.

Had one new, very handy field gun, simple trigger that was never going to win it any championship points, but compact enough to carry round a wood all afternoon.
    I'd guess 7lb ish, so light as full power springers go. - you need a gym

Chambers will have a part diagram you can use as a basis for a strip down, any article or video on tuning a Vulcan will be relevant for getting the best out of them.

https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24521/Excel/
    Last edited by Happy-Harry; 03-05-2014 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added link
    Want List :
    HW55T - Found and I am now in love
    Pictures :

Cheers for that. Any idea of value new/used?

It's definitely not a silent springer but guess it gets the job done. Hoping that a grease down might help. As for weight guess I've been out the air gun world too long. Single barel 12 gauge ain't for much beef on it!

i sold a very nice one last year for £70 in .22 i hope this helps
    cheers
    David

New - around 1987 or 8, a new one could be found for just under seventy pounds, I think it was £67.
    Bought one off here 2012, good nick, tuned with silencer for £90 for my cousin as a wedding present
    Want List :
    HW55T - Found and I am now in love
    Pictures :