Thread: Have I done the right thing? HW35k.

Have I done the right thing? HW35k.

May seem strange mentioning buying a new gun on 'collectable airguns', but it has been made since 1955...
    Yes, I've ordered my first brand new air rifle outfit, a Weihrauch 35k with Hawke 4x32 scope & Weihrauch silence from PellPax. Waited till I was in my '50's to do it!
    Normally prefer under lever's in .22, but the GoldStar has been too troublesome, & my early Mk 3 won't take a 'scope. So I've gone for a break barrel in .177, just for a change. Main use 30 yard plinking, & the occasional pigeon.
    Not long after they came out, I bought a nearly new HW77, & was really impressed with the build quality.
    So, any good advice/experience/tips on the 35k?
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Yes, you have done the right thing.

While not the most efficient and up to date rifle, the HW35 is still great. I had a modern K for a couple of years, and now have an older Export. I compared them on this thread.

I found the K to be a little light at the muzzle, resulting in a bit of flip on firing (that's my excuse anyway) but this was cured by adding a heavyish silencer.

Try the usual pellets: RWS Superdome, H&N FT, JSB Exact.

Matt

edbear2 Guest
    I am sure you will enjoy it, I own nothing under 10 years old, and have not bought a new gun since the 1970's

That said, I do set ups and fettling on a few guns for friends and team members and have worked on some new HW77's and similar, and it is really nice to shoot and mess around with something that is totally mint and without a mark on it for a change!

Still have not been tempted though, because of the savings you can make by buying nearly new which normally can pay for say a V Mach kit and still be cheaper than new!

Have fun with it,

ATB, Ed

Snap...just brought a 35K in .177 with a vmach tuning kit fitted and i like it. Funny enough i've just brought a brand new 80K and the 35K seems to be better built than the 80? Have weihrauch got a factory somewhere else?. To complete my 35k i'm trying to get the new weihrauch 3-9 x 40 pa scope to complete the outfit. Mach 1.5

Just keep the breech face lubricated regularly with a good high moly content grease to control the barrel latch wearing a groove in it.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Have a 35k in .22 built in 1982 not in its original stock but who cares its a belting little rifle its one of my keepers along with another <F> 35k in .177, love all my 35,s just as good as the latest Weihrauch,s the youngest being 1992 says something about the older rifles
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Snap...just brought a 35K in .177 with a vmach tuning kit fitted and i like it. Funny enough i've just brought a brand new 80K and the 35K seems to be better built than the 80? Have weihrauch got a factory somewhere else?. To complete my 35k i'm trying to get the new weihrauch 3-9 x 40 pa scope to complete the outfit. Mach 1.5
    I agree with you there i have a couple of new 80's & very recent new 35k,35s & Export which seem to be better quality when compared to the 80's.

' ... have I done the right thing ...'

No! You will enjoy the '35 so much you will want a .22. Then an Export then a Deluxe (in both calibres) then one of the many stock variants. Then they will start to breed ......

ATB
    The voice of experience.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

The Weihrauch HW35 was fundamentally the first modern breakbarrel air rifle.It sported a full stock a barrel that locked beyond dispute and a two stage trigger.Early ones had conventional open sights, (adjustable for both windage and elevation),but the trigger block was dovetailed to accept a more sophisticated diopter sight.It was also available with different variations of walnut stock styles and its early grace and charm are not challenged very often even these days by any manufacturer!

Your choice is beyond reproach and should be applauded by anyone with a basic knowledge of airgun history.The HW35 didn't start it all,but certainly raised the bar to a height that even now nearly 60 years later the majority of spring airgun manufacturers can't equal!

Which is why I have seven of them!
    Last edited by mrto; 04-05-2014 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks for the thoughts & advice!

Well, I'm looking forward to it's arrival this (Sun) evening even more since your replies. BH Monday my wife will be out with the grandsprogs, so I will have a good sighting in session.
    Got some RWS Hobby's in stock for the initial session. I seem to remember my early .22 HW77 worked best with H&N FT. The 77 was a great gun, so accurate it was nearly boring - I hope the 'modern' 35 is as well made.

As for what next...I've been promising myself an early Airsporter for years, or a Mk3 Supertarget...& now I'm getting all nostalgic about 77's...

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.