Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pointless flourishes on airguns

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    What, if any, other examples of 'unneccessary design flourishes' can you think of on airguns?
    I have noticed variations in the breech blocks of BSA meteors, both between the MK's, and some variation within the MK's as well. Theres no reason(exept cost and looks) to make different breech blocks, but there are several variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    ...What, if any, other examples of 'unneccessary design flourishes' can you think of on airguns?
    -Breech area fluting (Airsporter S, and Stutzen)

-Plastic adornment on the Tempest/Typhoon/Hurricane

-Anschutz SuperAir 2001/2 "cylinder" stickers

-Righthanded stocks

I suppose that having started this thread, I should apply it to the Falke underlevers models 80 and 90...

I can think of two features that are arguably pointless: firstly, on the stocks there is an impressed falcon symbol and 'FALKE' lettering in the fore end, as well as a buttplate with the same symbol moulded into it. One or other of these would have done the job of identifying the stock if it was ever separated from the action.

Secondly, the rear sight slid on a long rail above the cylinder. This feature seems to have been added later in the design process, since the first advertising materials showed the rifles with a fixed rearsight and the later ones showed it as it actually was. Since it's impossible to focus properly when the rear sight is anywhere except around the breech end of the rail, this feature offered an unneccessary level of adjustment and, what's more, meant the sight could easily be detached from the rifle, which is probably why so many rifles appear without one.

There are other examples of design 'gold-plating' on the Falkes which you couldn't really say were pointless, just features that other sporting/target rifles managed to do without. The rear sight blade was reversible to give a 'v' or a notch. The front sight had a choice of three removeable elements. The stock was attached to the action with six bolts, where half that was enough for other air rifles.

The diopter rear sight, which was set on its own dovetail above the trigger block, was apparently built to withstand a nuclear blast - a feature considered seriously useful in the '50s.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

what about the "Ford Anglia" type fin on some bsa standard stocks?,don't get me wrong,i like the old guns;just thinking it looks a bit thunderbirdish.shall i get in the bunker?

Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    what about the "Ford Anglia" type fin on some bsa standard stocks?,don't get me wrong,i like the old guns;just thinking it looks a bit thunderbirdish.shall i get in the bunker?
    Although I much prefer the appearance of the pre-WW1 BSA straight hand stocks, I have to admit that the feature you describe featured on the pistol hand stocks and also present on the later 'Standards', does provide for a more consistent hold which makes them more for use than ornament.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Although I much prefer the appearance of the pre-WW1 BSA straight hand stocks, I have to admit that the feature you describe featured on the pistol hand stocks and also present on the later 'Standards', does provide for a more consistent hold which makes them more for use than ornament.

Regards

Brian
    fair comment Brian,just trying to provoke a bit of banter.my example does have this feature and is a joy to shoot .atb

Good thread this one.....

For me the think that defines the word 'pointless' on any air rifle is a rubber ventilated recoil pad. WHY ??? If we were talking about a .458 Magnum, or a .416 elephant gun, I could understand it as the recoil in these guns seriously shakes your fillings loose. Even an un-moderated .30-06 can give you a bit of a shove with the larger bullet weights, But an air rifle P L E A S E.

Pointless Pointless Pointless !!!

Also, to bring things up to date, anything " Tactical " on an airgun What a load of cobblers .......

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    On a more serious note

How about the hole in the cocking lever of a Milita? http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=36
    Ian I remember it being suggested some time ago that the hole could be for a lock which would prevent the gun being cocked - perhaps if it was being used in a public gallery setting (such a cable threaded through several rifles?) Don't know if this is right, though. It doesn't sound very convincing.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    For me the think that defines the word 'pointless' on any air rifle is a rubber ventilated recoil pad.
    True, Andy. But it can be useful to hold some spare pellets in. I kept four or five in my Pro Sport's butt pad and it was useful having pellets to hand e.g. if a squirrel appeared in the garden!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery