Thread: Info required webley mk3

Info required webley mk3

Hi there

Recently bought a webley mk3 rifle sn 49390. 22, scope rail and forend hood, in great condition, not much use.

It has come with a green coloured canvas type slip that fit the gun perfectly.

The slip has thin blue piping down its length and two ties to close the slip at the end, where you put the rifle in.

Does anyone know if the slip is an extra that webley did with the mk3?

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by barts101 View Post
    Hi there

Recently bought a webley mk3 rifle sn 49390. 22, scope rail and forend hood, in great condition, not much use.

It has come with a green coloured canvas type slip that fit the gun perfectly.

The slip has thin blue piping down its length and two ties to close the slip at the end, where you put the rifle in.

Does anyone know if the slip is an extra that webley did with the mk3?

Cheers

Dave
    Hello Dave,

From the Ser No, I believe your Mk3 is a 6th Series rifle made around 1966. I happen to have a Webley catalogue for that year which quotes the supply of rifle slips as follows:

"Plastic cover with leather sling for standard Rifle (Cov11) SEE DEALER" (for price)

"Canvas cover with leather sling for Rifle fitted with aperture or telescopic sight (Cov 4) SEE DEALER" (for price).

There is no mention of colour or presence of ties to secure the ends.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 08-05-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks for the reply Brian

I will post a picture of the slip when my dad delivers the gun to me.

He seems to believe that the slip looks made for the mk3, just need to confirm that it is the webley canvas slip.

Cheers

Dave

As Brian says, Week ending 2/4/66 49350 - 49439 All .22 calibre from Thrale's book which lists canvas, cotton and plastic covers around that time.
    No mention of colours except black cotton but does say 43" length for Mklll.