Thread: Alan Westlake Alfa 357 Mag Revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Another update.

Second time out with the Alfa, this time I had changed the charge from 2.4 grains of green dot to 2.6 grains, the groups were much better and very consistent, well about as consistent as you can get at 25 yards with a 4 inch barrel. But I am very happy with the 2.6 charge and will stick to that.

I also tried some of my own home cast bullets, these were cast from old roofing lead into a Lee 148 grain wadcutter. These were then sized using a Lee 357 sizer and then a little Allox. These fit very well into the cylinder, a little easier to push in then the original hollow base ones, but nice an tight on the last few mm when seated with the press. Results, well I could not tell any difference between these and the hollow base ones. I only put 24 through as that was all I had ready, but I will be making more.

Oh yes, I tried some KG1 cleaner, not bad, that and an old toothbrush does seem to get the cylinders quite clean.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

Follow up on mine which appears to be working well now I size the primers.

Using 105gr swc home cast boolits (from scrap roofing lead, not range scrap) with Blue Dot powder is giving nice 4" groups freehand at 22 yards, seems consistent. Lubed with Alox, no excessive leading noted.
    I'll do some more tests and load development with Herco powder soon now I've got a tub of the stuff.
    I'm just glad it's finally shooting a full cylinder properly. Bloody primers!
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.