Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alan Westlake Alfa 357 Mag Revolver

Alan Westlake Alfa 357 Mag Revolver

Brought this from Alan Westlake
    An Alfa 357 Mag - Muzzle Loading Revolver.
    £860

http://s27.postimg.org/7gl3capgz/IMG_20140330_00029.jpg
    image upload no limit

http://s12.postimg.org/8zyqdqep9/IMG_20140330_00032.jpg
    take a screenshot

It shoots these

http://s27.postimg.org/u0kb7f3oz/IMG_20140508_00035.jpg
    image hosting 10mb limit

And can do this at 30 yards

http://s30.postimg.org/4cwh9k1hd/IMG_20140505_00033.jpg
    adult image upload

I pulled the last shot (at the bottom) Otherwise would have been a 3" grouping.

Have been down the range three times now.

The first time I tried from 3.8 to 4.6gn of Blue Dot. (Alan was unable to supply any Herco Powder)
    He had no Loading Data for Blue Dot, so had to do some experimenting.
    Above 4.5gn is to large a charge and it blew off two of the skirts leaving them in the cylinder.
    ( I had to use the "easy out tool" Alan recomended to get the 2/3 mm of lead skirt from inside the bottom of cylinder, but got it out quite easy)

The next time I went down the range I tried from 3.5 to 4gn of Blue Dot.
    I started off with 3.5gn checking the barrell & cylinder after each shot.
    3.5gn is too small a charge, on about the 5th shot I ended up with a wad cutter stuck half way down the barrel.
    I had to use a cleaning rod with a small piece of cloth on the end to gently tap the wad cutter out without damaging the barrel.

4gn of Blue Dot seems to be just about right. You get a nice kick (Recoil) with 4gn.
    On the last visit to the Range I made the final adjustments to the sights and ended up with a 4" grouping as my best set of shots. ( Off a rest ) See last photo above.
    This will hopefully improve with more practise.
    Shooting a Revolver at 30 Yards is a real challenge.

The trigger is pretty good straight out of the box, I believe you can adjust it if needed.
    (The double action of the trigger is quite stiff though, so only shot single action)
    Alan supplies a small metal pin to knock out the used shotgun primers
    But it is too large for the small holes, I have found that a large paper clip straightened out easily knocks out the spent primers.
    I may try & grind Alans metal pin down when I get the chance though.

I brought a 1000 Wad Cutters from Alan.
    (Although I intend to cast my own using a Lee 357 Mould, I am not sure what size "sizer" to use though Alans wadcutters are just under .357 and they are a tight fit!)
    They seem to be loading in the cylinder quite nice, of the 150 or so I have shot only a couple seemed to be oversized & didnt want to press into the cylinder with my thumb.
    Alan supplies a small press to push them fully into the cylinder, it comes with the gun.

A plastic foam lined case also comes with the Gun.
    I also brought a soft case off Alan for when the Firearm is stored in the cabinet (£12)

I also brought direct from the factory another set of wooden chequered grips and a Black Leather Holster (30 euros each plus postage - a bargain!)

Now just need to find the right cleaning product to get the stainless steel cylinder spotless after use.

So far I am really enjoying shooting this revolver, I find it a challenge at the Clubs Firing Line 30yards.
    Everyone who sees it wants to have a go with it. As its the closest thing to a proper Hand Gun we can legally own in the U.K.

Stuart
    Last edited by Frag Muppet; 08-05-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Very nice mate

looks great. will be putting in a variation for one of these. what is the deal with spare cylinders, do they have to be put on with the variation.

atb
    jay

Jay yes you need a slot for each spare cylinder. Your welcome to have a go with mine sometime mate!

Lol should have guessed that you have one Dan.
    will take you up on that mate, have shot black powder pistol and enjoyed it. was thinking of
    putting in for a lbr but the boy won't be able to shoot it so this will do nicely.

These are soooooo much fun mate!

Update

Been down the Range again today

Best grouping yet, 2" at 30 yards off a rest!

Click on Link below

http://s27.postimg.org/jg2g2vatf/IMG_20140520_00043.jpg
    free image hosting

I only got to shoot it twice with everyone else wanting to have a go.

I was looking at these today, the 4" version feels so nice.
    I have a Ruger old army 45 stainless, which is very nice, but fancy a change.

Hi Frag Muppet

Can I ask exactly which brand of shotgun primers you're using ?

I have a brand new Westlake .357 and I've got a problem with the cylinder getting *very* tight when firing and I think some of my primers are just a shade loose and are moving back with recoil out of the pockets.

I'm using Remington STS209 primers - which are working perfectly on my Anvil Conversions Uberti pistol - and I wonder if they are slightly undersized.

Thanks
    Paul M.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post
    Hi Frag Muppet

Can I ask exactly which brand of shotgun primers you're using ?

I have a brand new Westlake .357 and I've got a problem with the cylinder getting *very* tight when firing and I think some of my primers are just a shade loose and are moving back with recoil out of the pockets.

I'm using Remington STS209 primers - which are working perfectly on my Anvil Conversions Uberti pistol - and I wonder if they are slightly undersized.

Thanks
    Paul M.
    Hi Paul

I'm using Remington STS 209 Shotgun primers as well.
    Brought 1000 of them off Alan when I got the gun from him.
    They are working OK for me, they seat just fine, & 99% time pop out easy after firing.
    I have noticed some carbon/powder residue after firing the Revolver quite a few times.
    On one occasion the cylinder was tight sliding it back in but a quick wipe down with a cloth sorted that!
    Speak to Alan see what he recommends.

I love my Revolver, there good fun to shoot, very accurate and a lot cleaner to use than my Black Powder Revolver.
    Be interested to see if you can beat or match my 2" grouping at 30yards.

Stuart.

I'm using the Remington sts primers also with no issues

I saw one of these last Saturday in action, it too had a stuck cylinder, it is due to powder residue and needs to be kept clean. Unfortunately this one has two chambers that appear to be under sized as bullets can't be seated properly and the owner had to use a knife to cut the bits sticking out off, also the little wire thingy for pushing out the primers has bent already, as they weren't coming out very easily. I would have thought something more in line of a thicker shaft was needed

it had been fired that morning too, so maybe needs a good clean up on a regular basis

the other thing noticed was, two of the chambers don't index properly when the pistol is unloaded, but strange they seem to once loaded
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Interesting.

I'm having similar problems with mine, but I'm approaching the problem scientifically to narrow down the cause.

After testing it appears that primers are backing out of the cylinder under recoil and jamming the cylinder rotation. I have spoken to Alan about this today and he's recommended a different powder charge weight.
    In fairness, until I've completed testing and resolved the issue I won't say much - but will report in full, with video once testing is complete and hopefully the issue is resolved.

Cheers!
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

You do need to clean them of bullets do become hard to seat

out of interest, what are you guys using to clean your cylinders and I'll pass on the info to our club member.

he tried a bronze brush for the barrel and it wrecked it on the first chamber
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4