Thread: BSA Breakdown Model

BSA Breakdown Model

This has a serial number B6020.
    Could anyone let me know the date of manufacture?
    Regards
    Imelda

1938 would be my estimate.

Kind regards,

John

Many thanks.
    Imelda

Quote Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
    This has a serial number B6020.
    Could anyone let me know the date of manufacture?
    Regards
    Imelda
    Hi Imelda,

As you are probably aware, the BSA 'Breakdown' was made between 1932 -1939. I am aware of a 'Breakdown' pattern Ser No B4746 which has been accurately documented to 1937, so John's estimate of 1938 would seem to be about right.

Regards

Brian

Search Vintage BSA Airguns which will lead you to a great site run by a few well known names on here.
    Full of info and pics.

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Search Vintage BSA Airguns which will lead you to a great site run by a few well known names on here.
    Full of info and pics.
    Here is a link to the Breakdown gallery on said site

http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...281933-1939%29

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Imelda,

As you are probably aware, the BSA 'Breakdown' was made between 1932 -1939. I am aware of a 'Breakdown' pattern Ser No B4746 which has been accurately documented to 1937, so John's estimate of 1938 would seem to be about right.

Regards

Brian
    Sorry to contradict you (slightly) Brian, but John Knibbs* says the Breakdown pattern was launched in January 1933. A small point, but just for the record...

* The Golden Century
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

This is a digression from the OP's original request,but I have to say owning a very good Breakdown Pattern is a real pleasure and priviledge, being a rarely encountered and discussed model of BSA they are enormously pleasing to own.

They are beautifully constructed as dictated by the times and accurate and powerful beyond expectation.I often feel they are overlooked and quite unfairly reside in the shadow of their underlever siblings!

They were replaced by the more modern looking Cadet and Cadet Major which to my mind was a step backwards and the beginning of the cheapening process that BSA went through until today.

I have often felt the same way about the Standard giving way to the MK1 Airsporter.The Standard was the better made gun throughout,but not 'modern' looking enough for the times,what a shame!

ATB!
    Last edited by mrto; 11-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks to all for their help.
    Imelda

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    This is a digression from the OP's original request,but I have to say owning a very good Breakdown Pattern is a real pleasure and priviledge, being a rarely encountered and discussed model of BSA they are enormously pleasing to own.

They are beautifully constructed as dictated by the times and accurate and powerful beyond expectation.I often feel they are overlooked and quite unfairly reside in the shadow of their underlever siblings!

They were replaced by the more modern looking Cadet and Cadet Major which to my mind was a step backwards and the beginning of the cheapening process that BSA went through until today.

I have often felt the same way about the Standard giving way to the MK1 Airsporter.The Standard was the better made gun throughout,but not 'modern' looking enough for the times,what a shame!

ATB!
    I have to say I agree. The Breakdown has been somewhat underrated by collectors in the past. It is a good basic rifle and the several I know of, which are in the hands of collectors at the vintage section at Bisley give a good account of themselves on a regular basis. The Breakdown is undoubtedly an accessible and capable entry level BSA for competition use and classic shooting.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Sorry to contradict you (slightly) Brian, but John Knibbs* says the Breakdown pattern was launched in January 1933. A small point, but just for the record...

* The Golden Century
    Hi Danny,

It would take a great deal more than that to offend me. Out of interest, I used the Ser No register on the John Knibbs website which states:

"B Breakdown Pattern .177 1932 - 1939".

However, as you quite rightly say, both The Golden Century and a John Atkins article published in Air Gunner some time ago both say 1933 was the launch year for the Breakdown pattern.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 12-05-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post

ATB!
    I agree that the breakdown pattern is an often overlooked rifle which is a shame, I use mine quite often and find it as accurate and powerful as my Cadet Major, if not more so.
    A few weeks ago I was shooting with it at some knock-down targets, and as it was raining and the wife was out shopping, I was shooting sitting at a table in the conservatory with the doors open. I decided to adjust the trigger pressure by altering the trigger guard screw, cocked and loaded the rifle, and when I closed it much to my surprise "bang" she went off The barrel was pointing upwards and the shot hit the roof and penetrated through the outer layer of the multi layered roof sheets, lucky for me not causing a leak could have been worse, airguns can be dangerous.
    These lovely old guns are well worth keeping and using. Mine is serial number 1600 and can be seen on Johns site:

All the best...Dave...

Actually both Brian and Garvin are correct with their dating

I have a couple of original BSA adverts from November and December 1932 which feature the Breakdown model (in the latter it is described as the 'new type'). My guess is the factory records suggest the first rifles were despatched in January 1933 but they would have been assembled in 1932. BSA probably hoped to have the rifles ready in time for Christmas 1932 but were delayed for some reason. The same thing happens today with rifles being advertised months before they are ready for despatch.

Now a smoothbore Breakdown would be quite a find...

John