Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
Hi Brian, I use old Wasps, H+N FTT, and Defiant vintage in my MK1 and my prewar .22 guns.....The Wasps are brilliant as you would expect and edged the FTT in the home test I did, but I can only get out to 22 yards (have a look at the other pics to see what a kefuffle it is ).

And don't worry, it is safe behind the hedge!

However, at work I have access to 50 yards inside a warehouse, and 80 yards between two buildings, and out past 45 yards the FTT is the best (in my guns anyway) with group sizes noticeably smaller and with less flyers.

The limitations obviously are the open sights and the sportarget aperture really helps on the gun with older eyes, I think my Model D sporting is more accurate but the sights are the limiting factor when shooting past 45 yards...It will group well with careful concentration, good light, a good target set up (I use white board and a 4" black painted circle) and rested and sitting out past 60+ yards and on windless days I have got all the pellets easily into the black with FTT's.

At the time of the test I had no Defiants, but they seem good out to my garden maximum, have not tried them at longer ranges, but hope to get the Sporter and D to work soon to see what is best in preparation for the springer bash.

Obviously the Wasps are quite hard to find now, and can command a premium, but you can often get them cheaper than, or around the same price as the Defiants. Will report back when I have done a head to head of all three, but each gun is obviously different so bear this in mind...For example my sporter is like a shotgun with super domes, It is all over the place and quite harsh, the Wasps are the quietest / smoothest shooting.

ATB, Ed
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the very helpful information relating to the longer range performance of the Mk1 /Mk2 Airsporter.

I only ever really exercise my Mk1 at 20yds /25yds against indoor paper targets, so power and general performance at longer distances hasn't been an issue.

I have recently acquired a pack of Defiant Vintage .22 pellets mainly for use with my Webley Senior, so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the Airsporter.

Regards

Brian