Thread: bsa airsorter mk1&mk2.s

bsa airsorter mk1&mk2.s

can any one tell me why these rifles shoot very high,every one come upon have the back sight adjusted right down and the front sight fitted with the tallest blade.i swear the zero point must be at lest 50 yards ,is it because of the conical piston & and central transfer port the barrel had to be fitted lower which is not the standard way of doing things and the sights could not compensate, hope made things clear enough for you to understand. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terr james View Post
    can any one tell me why these rifles shoot very high,every one come upon have the back sight adjusted right down and the front sight fitted with the tallest blade.i swear the zero point must be at lest 50 yards ,is it because of the conical piston & and central transfer port the barrel had to be fitted lower which is not the standard way of doing things and the sights could not compensate, hope made things clear enough for you to understand. Thanks
    Hi,

I'm no expert, but Mk1 shoots to point of aim at 20yds with the rear sight at mid position allowing plenty of elevation adjustment for different ranges. I always use light weight pellets in all my old BSAs and have found the RWS Hobby to work well in the Mk1 Airsporter.

Regards

Brian

I have an early MK1 and also use hobby pellets and in my opinion give the best results.

Quote Originally Posted by terr james View Post
    I have three Mk2's and one Mk1 - all are zeroed around the 30 yd mark and none shoot high.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I have three Mk2's and one Mk1 - all are zeroed around the 30 yd mark and none shoot high.
    thanks for all the advice lads,will try what you have suggested and see if i get better results. Terry

Quote Originally Posted by sniper24687066 View Post
    I have an early MK1 and also use hobby pellets and in my opinion give the best results.
    Being lighter, I'd have thought these would shoot higher still
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Being lighter, I'd have thought these would shoot higher still
    Hi Paul,

Ballistics is quite a complicated subject and I don't believe it's pellet weight that would make a heavier pellet shoot lower, but the time it's exposed to the force of gravity before reaching the target. It amounts to the same thing though, as the heavier pellet will have a lower muzzle velocity and will therefore be subject to gravity longer resulting in a lower point of impact.

I recently put my Mk1 through the Chronometer using 11.9 grn Hobby pellets and it's only doing 7ft\lbs which may account for lighter pellets performing better.

What pellets do you normally use in your Airsporters ?

Regards

Brian

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Paul,

Ballistics is quite a complicated subject and I don't believe it's pellet weight that would make a heavier pellet shoot lower, but the time it's exposed to the force of gravity before reaching the target. It amounts to the same thing though, as the heavier pellet will have a lower muzzle velocity and will therefore be subject to gravity longer resulting in a lower point of impact.

I recently put my Mk1 through the Chronometer using 11.9 grn Hobby pellets and it's only doing 7ft\lbs which may account for lighter pellets performing better.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian, I use old Wasps, H+N FTT, and Defiant vintage in my MK1 and my prewar .22 guns.....The Wasps are brilliant as you would expect and edged the FTT in the home test I did, but I can only get out to 22 yards (have a look at the other pics to see what a kefuffle it is ).

And don't worry, it is safe behind the hedge!

However, at work I have access to 50 yards inside a warehouse, and 80 yards between two buildings, and out past 45 yards the FTT is the best (in my guns anyway) with group sizes noticeably smaller and with less flyers.

The limitations obviously are the open sights and the sportarget aperture really helps on the gun with older eyes, I think my Model D sporting is more accurate but the sights are the limiting factor when shooting past 45 yards...It will group well with careful concentration, good light, a good target set up (I use white board and a 4" black painted circle) and rested and sitting out past 60+ yards and on windless days I have got all the pellets easily into the black with FTT's.

At the time of the test I had no Defiants, but they seem good out to my garden maximum, have not tried them at longer ranges, but hope to get the Sporter and D to work soon to see what is best in preparation for the springer bash.

Obviously the Wasps are quite hard to find now, and can command a premium, but you can often get them cheaper than, or around the same price as the Defiants. Will report back when I have done a head to head of all three, but each gun is obviously different so bear this in mind...For example my sporter is like a shotgun with super domes, It is all over the place and quite harsh, the Wasps are the quietest / smoothest shooting.

ATB, Ed
    Last edited by edbear2; 11-05-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Paul,

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

It looks like we are saying the same thing - lighter pellets, higher MV = less drop over normal airgun distances of say 30 yards? If that is the case, then using lighter pellets will not cure the OP's problem of shooting well high.

In the 0.22's (Mk1 and 2 x Mk2's) I am now using Defiant Vintage to good effect. I'm not the world's best shot and don't shoot that often nowadays, but I haven't seen any significant difference in P.O.I. between the Vintage and the Superdomes that I used before the Vintage came out.

Early on of course it was proper Wasps.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Only recently acquired a mk11 Airsporter and it does well with Falcon accuracy plus pellets 5.52 and 13.43 grains.
    Does not shoot high.
    My Webley mk111 in .177 does !

Hi Brian,

It looks like we are saying the same thing - lighter pellets, higher MV = less drop over normal airgun distances of say 30 yards? If that is the case, then using lighter pellets will not cure the OP's problem of shooting well high.

In the 0.22's (Mk1 and 2 x Mk2's) I am now using Defiant Vintage to good effect. I'm not the world's best shot and don't shoot that often nowadays, but I haven't seen any significant difference in P.O.I. between the Vintage and the Superdomes that I used before the Vintage came out.

Early on of course it was proper Wasps.
    Hi Paul,

We are saying the same thing, so I can only assume the relatively low power from my MK1 is the reason for the suitability of the lighter Hobby pellets at closer ranges anyway.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi Brian, I use old Wasps, H+N FTT, and Defiant vintage in my MK1 and my prewar .22 guns.....The Wasps are brilliant as you would expect and edged the FTT in the home test I did, but I can only get out to 22 yards (have a look at the other pics to see what a kefuffle it is ).

And don't worry, it is safe behind the hedge!

However, at work I have access to 50 yards inside a warehouse, and 80 yards between two buildings, and out past 45 yards the FTT is the best (in my guns anyway) with group sizes noticeably smaller and with less flyers.

The limitations obviously are the open sights and the sportarget aperture really helps on the gun with older eyes, I think my Model D sporting is more accurate but the sights are the limiting factor when shooting past 45 yards...It will group well with careful concentration, good light, a good target set up (I use white board and a 4" black painted circle) and rested and sitting out past 60+ yards and on windless days I have got all the pellets easily into the black with FTT's.

At the time of the test I had no Defiants, but they seem good out to my garden maximum, have not tried them at longer ranges, but hope to get the Sporter and D to work soon to see what is best in preparation for the springer bash.

Obviously the Wasps are quite hard to find now, and can command a premium, but you can often get them cheaper than, or around the same price as the Defiants. Will report back when I have done a head to head of all three, but each gun is obviously different so bear this in mind...For example my sporter is like a shotgun with super domes, It is all over the place and quite harsh, the Wasps are the quietest / smoothest shooting.

ATB, Ed
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the very helpful information relating to the longer range performance of the Mk1 /Mk2 Airsporter.

I only ever really exercise my Mk1 at 20yds /25yds against indoor paper targets, so power and general performance at longer distances hasn't been an issue.

I have recently acquired a pack of Defiant Vintage .22 pellets mainly for use with my Webley Senior, so it will be interesting to see how they perform in the Airsporter.

Regards

Brian