Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Once in a Lifetime'

Fantastic collection, Mark, and thanks for letting us see it, as LeonardJ said over on the AVA. Lovely pics, as usual.

Extraordinary pistols, these Hammerlis. I remember how mysterious they seemed years ago, before we even had a chance of owning a CO2 pistol. More recently, I've toyed with the idea of buying one from eGun. I find the wood grip Rapid especially attractive and I bet they're superbly accurate.

If it's not too intrusive, can you tell us a bit about who built this collection and what it comprises, please?

That .22 has all the signs of a prototype to me. It would have to be a very enthusiastic enthusiast to put that together!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks Danny, the last owner had a relative that worked at the hammerli factory prior to the fire, as well as the .22 Single and A025 10 shot prototype (A02 I secured from Gunbroker a few years ago) there are a few other models that I have never seen before,which I will feature later,so I can believe the story. He also did not do the 'www' and I acquired the complete collection of 13 pistols and 16 rifles plus a lot of spares and factory literature from a dealer who knew that I had a thing for Hammerli

I had never seen the scaled down targets for the Rapid 5m turning target system until I found them amongst the paperwork. I have still not seen the actual system and I suspect that I may never turn one up, as they cost the same as the Rapid pistol in 1968 which was 280DM.

Production for the Rapid was short 66 - 69 and I don't know how many were produced. I have nos 284 and 1677 in my collection, but I suspect that they were numbered along with other models in the range

Thanks, Mark. Fascinating. Truly a once in a lifetime opportunity - and credit to you for taking it.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you Mark for sharing that and, once again as previously stated, brilliant photos.

Ive acquired a few Hammerli pistols, most of them from yourself and do love their feel and engineering. The strangest one, and first was a 'Sparkler' tap loader which repeats on BB. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=91

I have also got a Hammerli rifle http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=38 which Im sorry to say I dont like using due to a lack of anti bear trap. The system of cocking then opening the loading port before returning the cocking lever does alleviate most of the danger of trapped fingers.

Im sorry for the poor photos .

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have the rifle too.

Reviewers mention the danger but I dont see it.
    Unless you are fond of putting your hand between the lever and the stock.
    Rather nice and accurate target type rifle.
    Sold as a Match rifle when new.

In the pistols of this collection was a Hammerli 'Duell' which is a scarce model even in it's home country. I'm not sure why that would be as it was just 40DM more than the 'Master' in 1969.

So what is the 'Duell' all about and was it worth the premium over the 'Master'

The 'Duell' was essentially a 'Master' with a in line 5 shot magazine mounted on top of the chamber.The loading port was extended and shaped to allow a single match pellet to load automatically into it every time the pistol was cocked. You pushed the loading port back down and the pistol was ready to shoot. It's a very simple and elegant system and works flawlessly with the correct length match pellets. The probe has a nylon button on it that makes the loading process very smooth.

What made this particular 'Duell' very interesting was that it was fitted with the late model trigger mechanism post 1972 and it's serial number was in the 6xxx rather than the 3xxx of the other 'Duells' in my collection. This 6xxx serial number also ties in with the late model 'Masters' that have the later sear adjustment mechanism.I have included some pictures showing both types of trigger. In use you would be hard pushed to know which was which,as both can be set up for a superb trigger feel.

In the pictures the late model is fitted with the optional Hammerli bulk fill adapter and shown with the rather elegantly shaped 150grm buddy bottle which is made from spun aluminium.

Pictures:

Nearly there for the pistols!

Hammerli ‘Sparkler’ RD & R - Production period: 1958 – 1961

This was Hammerlis first production CO2 air pistol

It's a .177 pellet ( Diabolo )and 5 shot lead ball( Runde gedreht ) repeater all in one pistol. It has a rifled barrel and is cocked by pulling back the cocking knob at the rear which is also where the 8grm CO2 bulbs are loaded. The Sparkler along with the Rapid and kurz Single can only use the 8grm powerlets. The pistol appears to have been made in two finishes, polished blue and matt grey. Interestingly the rear sight frame and trigger block are brazed in place, unlike all their other models.

The RD can be used to shoot .117 pellets and .177 lead ball.

To shoot as a single shot the loading lever is pivoted through 90 degrees and the pellet put in nose first, return the lever and cock by pulling back the cocking knob, a red ring shows that the pistol is cocked. To shoot lead ball 5 are dropped into the second hole on the breach and you can then fire off 5 shots as fast as you can cock and fire it. As with all Hammerli's they have adjustable triggers and sights. This model was produced for the UK and US market as indicated by the 'English' writing on the box.

The ‘R’ was lead ball only and this model had escaped me for years and is certainly the less common version that can be found. This one is in polished blue and is surprisingly powerful when you look at the way that it flattens the gamo ball.

As would appear to be the case with Hammerli, they produced a pre production model and some years back I picked up ‘P1’ which is in essence a model ‘RD’ apart from some very minor details it's identical to the production 'RD' Note that they dropped the hole in the trigger guard to access the sear adjustment screw on the RD model

As with other manufacturers of the period, you can find subtle differences in some of the components used and with the Sparklers they appeared to use a couple of different width rear sights. The grey parkerised finish was not used on any other models that I have seen.

Thanks for this Mark, how rare is the "Sparkler" in the UK ? You mentioned that it was intended for sale here in your post, I wondered if many were sold here, I've never seen one before...Dave...

I'm not a pistol man despite which all my recent acquisitions have been pistols. Nontheless sincere thanks for reminding us all that true treasures are still waiting out there for those prepared to search for them. I once sold £1600 worth of used brake callipers from a pal's workplace where we were building an off-road racer, ferrying them across there from home in two trips on consecutive days because I knew that a rep from a reconditioning firm was going to be in the vicinity on a given day. When the aforementioned pal remarked on my luck I replied that it was strange how the harder I worked the luckier I seemed to get.

The moral of this post is not to expect things to be given to you without some input from yourself. As usual I've been scooped by either W. Shakespeare or the Bible - Seek and ye shall find.

Here endeth the first lesson.
    Good night and all the best, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by Oldandshaky View Post
    Thanks for this Mark, how rare is the "Sparkler" in the UK ? You mentioned that it was intended for sale here in your post, I wondered if many were sold here, I've never seen one before...Dave...
    There as common as much. I thought everyone had one. (See post #21 )

Is it me or have they fogot to put the loading lever on one of your pistols. (Bottom one here: http://s60.photobucket.com/user/Char...7ca0e.jpg.html?

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    There as common as much. I thought everyone had one. (See post #21 )

Is it me or have they fogot to put the loading lever on one of your pistols. (Bottom one here: http://s60.photobucket.com/user/Char...7ca0e.jpg.html?

ATB
    Ian

Nope - It's the 'R' model and only shoots ball,so no need for the lever which is just used for pellet loading. This model was missing from my collection till this collection came up

Old & Shaky - they would have been available prior to CO2 going on ticket - which I think was around 1966 ?

I only know of a few collectors, IJ being one who has 1 in their collection. The RD being the most commonly found version.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Nope - It's the 'R' model and only shoots ball,so no need for the lever which is just used for pellet loading. This model was missing from my collection till this collection came up
    Thanks for that. Obvious when I think about it.

Ive found in my gun collection today a tin of H & N 4.40mm round lead ball. Could these be used in my Sparkler?

ATB
    Ian

Add me to the Sparkler Owners Club.