Thread: very unusual old pistol, for sale,

very unusual old pistol, for sale,

on Egun, item 4944597,boxed, with pellet maker,any one seen this type before,?ATB, ray.

Hi Ray,

That looks nice...and sort of reminds me of a cut down Eisenwerke No9 Gem!...wonder who made it?...EG perhaps?

To see what I mean, look at the No9 in the EG catalogue - here
    blah blah

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    In the various catalogue entries seen for this pistol (German, British and Swedish, over the period about 1898 to 1909) it has been referred to as the Precision Air Pistol, Precision Target Air Pistol, and Boys Gem, but never with any indication of the maker. It has never been seen in any dedicated manufacturers catalogue (such as Eisenwerke Gaggenau or Oscar Will), only catalogues from general gun distributors, so any attribution would be a guess, although we can be certain it is German in origin. I suppose any of the Gem rifle makers of the time could be contenders.

There were two versions, and this is the slightly lower grade version with an octagonal air cylinder and plain trigger guard. I wonder if the gun has been renickelled at some time, as all the catalogue entries say available with black enamelled cylinder and nickelled barrel, or blued barrel and nickelled cylinder, with no mention of both being nickelled.The box could be original as they have been mentioned as being black in colour and made of strong cardboard. However, the bits and pieces in the box are not original, and the picture of pistols in the lid has come from a 21st century source.

All in all a very nice example, and very rare, especially with its box.

unusual old pistol

Thanks, ccdjg and Dave for your info, so this is a mystery pistol,looking at the breech locking system, I wonder if Mr kynock saw this before he designed the Swift? HI, Dave, I still use the DCL dave PPP(patent pellet producer you made for me, ATB, to you both, Ray.