Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some newbie help And info needed with a Steyr lp5

Some newbie help And info needed with a Steyr lp5

Hi all,
    I stumbled on this forum looking for some info on a Steyr LP5 that I recently discovered at my parents place after empying some boxes.
    I have to admit that I have no clue on airguns, I do have a shootinglicense but this is for .22 lr and 9 mm.
    Some questions that pop up in my mind are:

1) is my Steyr a pistol bases on CO2 or on compressed air.
    2) if the pistol is on CO2 How do I fill these cartridges. I have read that Steyr in Austria is able to converter my CO2 into compressed air.
    3) what would be the approx value of this finding I know that the pistol are rather expensive.

Pictures can be found here:
    http://users.telenet.be/vanbeeumen/IMG_0424.JPG
    http://users.telenet.be/vanbeeumen/IMG_0425.JPG
    http://users.telenet.be/vanbeeumen/IMG_0426.JPG
    http://users.telenet.be/vanbeeumen/IMG_0427.JPG

If the use of pictures here is not allowd, my appologies but I found no other way to show you what I found in these boxes.

Thank you all for your help and advise, any other hints will also be appreciated.

Firstly it's a pcp pistol as the cylinders are different to the co2 parts and to find a co2 fed lp5 is quite rare these days and to find one in your parents loft is very fortunate for you

Just look on the cilinders. It'll say wether its co2 or pcp.
    I wouldnt be so sure its pcp. Does that cilinder read kohlendioxid?
    CO2 you need a master co2 tank. For instance a fire extinguisher.
    Be sure to cool before filling.
    Yes they can be diverted to air. Mine is pcp now. Costed about E150 iirc.
    But I'm not sure I'm very happy with it..
    Worth: the CO2 version about E350-500 I guess
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Just look on the cilinders. It'll say wether its co2 or pcp.
    I wouldnt be so sure its pcp. Does that cilinder read kohlendioxid?
    CO2 you need a master co2 tank. For instance a fire extinguisher.
    Be sure to cool before filling.
    Yes they can be diverted to air. Mine is pcp now. Costed about E150 iirc.
    But I'm not sure I'm very happy with it..
    Worth: the CO2 version about E350-500 I guess
    He Yana,

Yes, the cylinder does read Kohlendioxid 0,053 kg. How do I go from here? Because I admit I'm an absolute Noob on these things. Did went to the fairs shooting air rifles as a kid, but that's all, and it's a long time ago. I do have a regular FAC, but air … Except the one for breathing, I have no clue how to put it in the Steyr. :-)

I have the intention of using this again, if I could find a way that is practical.
    Any advise you can share with me, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    Marc

Yana is correct, I looked at mine and there is an air regulator on mine where yours does not have it, apologies!

Ikama,

No apologies needed, everyone can make mistakes, and I admit it's sometimes not easy to tell the difference. My interest is to make this gun work again, I just don't know where to start. I have tried to google answers, but there is so little info available if you are not into air guns.
    Yana suggested a fire extinguisher, I would just not know what to do with it until someone explained me, and that's what I'm trying to find out here.

I asked the same question at our regular shooting club, and they all asked what I wanted to do with a toy gun. (don't take this wrong, but these are people that go for the BIG BANG guns e.g.. .50AE, not my kind because i'm more into precision versus the BIG holes and loud noises)

BR

A nice pistol but quite old.
    It needs to be filled with co2 and some people have the knowledge and equipment to do this.
    Most people dont and many prefer the modern air versions.
    So a limited market and you would be lucky to get £250.

But the modern air versions cost up to £1500 so if you can learn how to fill and use it you will have a pistol that you would possibly not otherwise own.
    I have a friend who uses and loves an old co2 FWB pistol.
    I will ask him to comment on this thread.

So it looks my reply of yesterday did not make it to the forum,

First of all Ikarma, there is no need to apologize, maybe it's because I did not explained it correctly. I'm here to learn and with some luck get this fine pistol to be in working order again so I can go an get a "go" with it at our local shooting club.

I do understand that it's old and that people are more interested in more modern ways of loading than using a fire extinguisher, but he did we all not started that way. Some of my other guns are old as well one is a Browning Medalist (1967) the other one a Browning International II (1973) and both off them shoot well and are still very accurate even at 25m.
    But I would like to make the test another 40 years down the road (if I can keep up that long) with a more modern let's say S&W MP22 made of polymer and an aluminum slide, will it still be as good as my oldies?
    http://users.telenet.be/vanbeeumen/Guns/FN.jpg

Hence the reason why I will stick to this Steyr LP5, and there is no reason for me to sell this especially not if "there a limited market and you would be lucky to get £250". I would rather see it converted to compressed air, and enjoy the shooting with it for quite some years to come.

Yana, If you could fine me some insights how to work the fire extinguisher for the time being I really appreciate.

BR

As gingernut says, I have quite a few air pistols but I love my bulk fill FWB. Consistent power and accuracy even in cold weather unlike my 8grm and 12grm capsule pistols. To fill them is so easy if you have the correct adapter to go between the cylinder and a fire extinguisher. To get the most CO2 into the cylinder I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes then screw it into the fire extinguisher. Just push down the lever on the extinguisher and it fills the cylinder. I weigh mine on the wifes kitchen scales to find out how much C02 has gone in, mine weigh a total 320 grms when full. When full, the number of shots at around 540 fps with Geco pellets is amazing. The extinguisher complete with gas costs £10 and I have yet to need another (I bought 3 because of the price). I did strip and examine my cylinders inside to see if there was any corrosion, but this is probably unlikely if they have had CO2 kept in them.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psf765aa7f.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4b966bb3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    As gingernut says, I have quite a few air pistols but I love my bulk fill FWB. Consistent power and accuracy even in cold weather unlike my 8grm and 12grm capsule pistols. To fill them is so easy if you have the correct adapter to go between the cylinder and a fire extinguisher. To get the most CO2 into the cylinder I put it in the freezer for 10 minutes then screw it into the fire extinguisher. Just push down the lever on the extinguisher and it fills the cylinder. I weigh mine on the wifes kitchen scales to find out how much C02 has gone in, mine weigh a total 320 grms when full. When full, the number of shots at around 540 fps with Geco pellets is amazing. The extinguisher complete with gas costs £10 and I have yet to need another (I bought 3 because of the price). I did strip and examine my cylinders inside to see if there was any corrosion, but this is probably unlikely if they have had CO2 kept in them.

Baz

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...psf765aa7f.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4b966bb3.jpg
    Hi Baz,

Thank you for the reply, could you please explain how to determine if enough CO2 is into the cartridge?
    I do have a proper CO2 fire extinghuiser available, just need to fond the right coupling. Don't you need a return valve?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The 0.053 kg is the weight of co2...if the empty (or full) weight isn't stamped on the cylinder - vent the co2 in the cylinder, weigh it when empty and the weight when full should be 53g heavier.

Marc, the valve that seals the gas in is the one in the cylinder you are filling. Make sure you unscrew that from the brass adapter when you have filled. Do not unscrew the adapter from the extinguisher first as this will vent all the gas you have filled. As Harvey says you can weigh the cylinder empty before filling. To get the most C02 in put the cylinder in your freezer but not for too long as you can freeze up the valve in it. The warmer the dispenser (extinguisher) and the colder the receiver (cylinder) you will transfer more CO2.It is not necessary to fill the cylinder completely to the specific weight mentioned, you will still get a lot of shots. On your photos you show a brass fitting, has that got the female extinguisher thread cut into it ? If you were in UK I would have liked to buy it from you or swap a nice target pistol such as the Baikal IZH 46M.

Baz.

Thank you all for the very valuable input. Yes the bras connector has the female coupling for I believe a fire extinghuiser, although it does not fit the one I have a my place, so either I need a different fire extinghuiser, or I need to find a different connector. Both are options. It will take me a trip to the local hardwarestore to probably find what I need. Will keep you posted on my progress.
    I hope in a very short future I may bug you again with some questions.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Looking at the rest of of your photos - the weights are stamped on them : full = 240g, empty = 187g.
    Now you know this - weighing the cylinders at any time can tell you the capacity of co2 left in them.
    As baz points out its not the end of the world if the fill isn't 100% you'll just get a few shots less, but try not to over fill them otherwise the first shots could be under powered.
    Last edited by harvey_s; 17-05-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Looking at the rest of of your photos - the weights are stamped on them : full = 240g, empty = 187g.
    Now you know this - weighing the cylinders at any time can tell you the capacity of co2 left in them.
    As baz points out its not the end of the world if the fill isn't 100% you'll just get a few shots less, but try not to over fill them otherwise the first shots could be under powered.
    Thanks, I havn't even noticed that. Does make things a lot easier. Now let's just see How accurate the kitchen scale is :-). I wonder if my wife will ask why I would need this.