Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how quiet can you make a crosman 2240

how quiet can you make a crosman 2240

I'm thinking about buying a 2240 for close range use in some farm buildings. tried one and s#/% they are loud!

has anyone got one on here that they have managed to quieten down so your ears don't bleed when you fire it?

I've got a HW100 that is whisper quiet, Is it possible to get the 2240 to go this quiet?

Yes, stick a silencer adaptor and an HW can on the end and it'll be quieter than your 100

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Also balance the hammer and valve springs to eliminate 'hammer bounce'. This will make it quieter as well as more gas efficient.
    Good deals with these members

using a weihrauch has quitened my 2250 keep watching on this forum one will pop up for sale s/h or a brocock along with the 1/2inch unf mounting sleeve
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Have a look at Gmac Crosman.
    They sell nice adapters.
    Remember to get one with a sight pin in if you want to continue to use open sights.

Decent silencer and you will be amazed!

I use a swift stubby on my 2240, quietens it down nicely and is not overly large.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    Yes, stick a silencer adaptor and an HW can on the end and it'll be quieter than your 100
    Well i did exactly what you said and..... i'm shocked how quiet it is! Its really transformed the pistol. I ordered a laser dot to sit on the new steel breech i fitted. Just for fun i mounted a spare 3-9x40 ags scope on it and it looks like something from a James Bond film! Kind of balances out the pistol too with the silencer on the front and the scope mounted as far back as i can get it. got it zero'd and only used it for plinking at the minute. The rats seem to have moved out

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Also balance the hammer and valve springs to eliminate 'hammer bounce'. This will make it quieter as well as more gas efficient.
    Thanks for the reply, Do you know how to do this? I have no idea where to start to be honest. there is a kind of "d,d,d,dd doink" everytime i fire the gun. i presume its the hammer? sorry for the technical term!

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by supersharpshoot View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Do you know how to do this? I have no idea where to start to be honest. there is a kind of "d,d,d,dd doink" everytime i fire the gun. i presume its the hammer? sorry for the technical term!
    Not sure I should tell you, it's a slippery slope
    Depends how far you want to go with tinkering, the 2240 is a great gun to start taking apart and fiddling with, but be warned that it's a bit addictive!
    The hammer bounce (which you gave a perfect rendition of ) is caused by the hammer bouncing against the valve pin. Obviously as it bounces against the pin you lose a little bit of gas, making the gun louder and less efficient. A bit farty sounding too.
    To eliminate it you have to balance out the spring strength of both the hammer spring at the very rear of the gun, and the valve spring. There is a product I have seen in the US that fits over the pin coming from the top of the hammer but I haven't been able to source it over here.
    Basically you have to play with different springs and preload washers until you hit a sweet spot where it fires at a good power with not too much wasted gas. Be prepared to assemble and disassemble the gun many many times.
    A few pitfalls/things to bear in mind:
    The hammer spring can't be too strong or it will make the bolt stiff to cock and he trigger hard to pull. Too weak and it may struggle to hit the valve hard enough to pierce the caplet on the first shot.
    The valve spring can't be too strong or it will need. a corresponding increase in hammer strength. Too weak and you'll waste too much gas.

I would start with taking the valve out and apart, using a dremel to take out some of the sharp corners in the valve (this will enhance efficiency, first step is to make better use of the gas it's getting), then perhaps add a small washer or two to the main valve spring. This should give it the little extra force it needs to prevent the valve opening under the vibration of the hammer.
    Good deals with these members

I was looking at these folk earlier today.

Lots of bits for Crosman 2240

http://www.sdcustomdesign.com/index.htm

There's some nice parts on that site I like their muzzle breaks.

I've got a WR one on mine with an adapter, whisper quiet.
    Nec aspera terrent

HW77k, Dan Wesson 6mm, baikal makerov MP645k

This is mine with a Parker Hale on http://qik.com/video/58572357

Quote Originally Posted by supersharpshoot View Post
    It is very simple. I made a delrin hammer spring guide on the lathe for my Benjamin EB 22 in about 10 mins. Make sure you make it a tightish fit and bingo...! No more hammer bounce.
    Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray2267 View Post
    I've got a WR one on mine with an adapter, whisper quiet.
    Plus one, mine too is whisper quiet using the same stuff
    Nec aspera terrent

HW77k, Dan Wesson 6mm, baikal makerov MP645k