Thread: Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO with Dead Hold BDC Reticule

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40AO with Dead Hold BDC Reticule

As a few people asked I have finally got my Vortex Diamondback as above and thought I would do a little review on it.
    I decided to take a chance on this even though I didn't know a lot about them as they came recommended from someone off BBS over the Nikon Prostaff ERF which I was looking at initially. I really fancied the Vortex if it lived up to the advice over the Prostaff mainly due to the higher magnification options and the reticule gave some aim points unlike the Prostaff which is duplex with a dot.

So to the review!

Out of the box the Vortex feels and looks like it means business I had a Hawke Airmax on my scorpion before which is not a bad scope but it doesn't hold a candle to the Vortex in build quality. The Vortex feels solid and the AO ring is as smooth as silk with no real effort required to turn it. The magnification adjustment is also very smooth and unlike some scopes I have owned doesn't feel stiff or sticky.
    If there was one downside from my initial inspection is the turret clicks are not as positive as I would like this is a personal preference thing really and some people may prefer more subtle clicks but I like mine to be positive.

After mounting it on my Scorpion it was off to the indoor range to zero it at 25 yards. This was an absolute pleasure the optics were pin sharp and it only took a few shots to get the scope where I wanted it. The depth of field on the scope at 9x mag (my preferred hunting power) is very nice going from about 15 yards to 40 ish yards without becoming unusable to my eyes.

Of course shooting in a well lit range and during the full day doesn't really put a scopes optical quality through its paces so the other evening I went bunny hunting on my permission with a couple of friends. It was at this point the Vortex really showed itself over the Hawke as the sun was getting lower I would have had major issue with lense flare on the Hawke but had no real issues on the Vortex also when the light started to fade about 9.30pm I still had a really clear view through the Vortex about 20 mins after I would probably have had to pack up with the Hawke.

Finally onto the "Dead Hold" reticule yep its an American scope so the reticule had a bit of a macho name but if you follow the link its a bit like Hakes MAPP 6 but missing the top dot. However as this is a firearms scope the dots don't do exactly what MAPP6 does as there is a big gap between the first and second dot down and a smaller gap between the crosshair and the first dot.
    After a bit of playing about on my .22 Scorpion at a 25yds Zero they roughly correspond to the 1st dot being 30 yards and second being 40yards which is more than enough for me for hunting as I limit myself to 30yards with .22 anyway. But having the 40yards mark is handy for when I having a go at the small club competitions we run. I am sure in .177 something can be worked out to peoples satisfaction by playing with the Mag/ Zero points.

Would I recommend this scope? Hell yes, is it staying on my Scorpion? Probably not when my FAC comes through as it will probably going on a rimfire.
    In terms of glass quality I would pitch it roughly near the Leupold VX2 which a friend has on his rile at the moment.

For £220 its a bargain especially as it comes with a lifetime warranty and the choice of small objective scopes with some sort of ballistic reticule are a bit thin on the ground at the moment (Are you listening Leupold and Nikon).

Hope this helps and attached is a link to the scope http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...v-plex-reticle

Neil

Just out of interest, what colour are the lens coatings ?
    Hw77+7

Greeny colour mate

Quote Originally Posted by Zetter View Post
    Greeny colour mate
    Call old school, but I was hoping it was purple.

Nice scope though, will have to add to my list of the ones to consider at my next purchase.
    Hw77+7

If you can get a look through one mate it would be worth it. My RFD got mine and said he was going to get one himself for his rimmy

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    Call old school, but I was hoping it was purple.

Nice scope though, will have to add to my list of the ones to consider at my next purchase.
    think they are purple on the Vortex Viper I have
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical

Mine are green..., I loved the colour of the Burris ff2 I had.., they wer purple..,
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!
    you are right, they are green, I checked the other day
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical