Thread: .177 the one to go for for HFT?

.177 the one to go for for HFT?

Hi, after researching for ages back in 2008, my plans went on hold after moving across the country, but now I am looking to resurrect my desire for HFT

Amongst the usual Springer v PCP debate I am struggling with, there is the question of calibre.

So please could people advise on the pros and cons of .177 v .22 for HFT type shooting? (Discounting .20 and .25 as they are a bit 'exotic' and so pricier/limited options)

TIA

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Everyone I know who shoots HFT uses .177
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

.177, flatter trajectory. .22 fewer competitors

.22 can be more stable in the wind due to the greater weight. However, you really need to be exact with your aim points because of the bigger curve the pellets takes along its trajectory, again due to the greater weight. Shooting with .177 is a bit more forgiving. For example, from 17 yds to 45 yds all my aim points will fall within 1.25 of a mildot so you've a greater chance of scoring with a poorly ranged target.
    Plus they're a few quid cheaper per tin

As mentioned, 177 gives you a flatter trajectory and makes it easier to hit targets at varying ranges.
    Also as mentioned, since everyone shoots 177 you're up against very stiff competition. If you go for 22 you'll have to work a bit harder, but you'll be competing in a very small group.