Thread: Choosing a target pistol

Choosing a target pistol

Hi, just joined the forum after realising the wealth of information that can be shared through this media. Particularly pleased to see a section dedicated to target / competition.
    I shoot HFT comps across the north west and 10 meter pistol with a small group of casual pistol plinkers. The thing is, I really enjoy the 10 meter discipline and after two years of shooting a weihrauch HW40 I found a new target club that has recently opened. Despite the weihrauch being a brilliant pistol for the money it is let down with the standard grip. I have modified the grip with an old inner tube by sliding it over the handle and then rolling the bottom over several times to create a palm shelf. Sounds a bit rubbish but looks good and greatly improves the grip. However, it's clear that my little SSP just won't cut it with the big guns. So, my question is, what do I upgrade to. I intend to compete to my highest potential and in order to achieve that I will need a more suitable target pistol. Charging a pcp is not an issue and I've got a few bob in an old pellet tin so, although I can't afford the latest electronic Steyr, I can afford something a bit fancy
    Your replies will be gratefully received
    Regards
    Chris

Hi Chris

If you can afford it, and you intend to keep on shooting target pistol (good for you!!) spend as much as you can afford on a quality pistol. As you can see, I'm biased and shoot a Steyr LP10, but it took me seven years to save up for that. It's in immaculate condition, 13 years old and cot me just short of £500. The deals are there if you look for them. Any of the well known makes (Steyr, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Morini etc) will outshoot you!

Try and shoot as many as you can before you buy - most clubs will be only too happy to introduce people to their new toys!

Good luck, prepare to lose your wallet.......

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Thanks for the reply Adrian
    I agree with your comments and I'm also a little biased towards the LP 10 having shot one last week
    However, many people including yourself, recommend trying different pistols to find one that "feels right"
    I believe the LP 10 has a fully adjustable grip but not sure if other top end pistols are the same. Of course getting my hands on several different pistols might be easier said than done!
    Also, (sorry to go one but there are so many questions I have) why do people choose PCP's over SSP's for top end competitions. I know it's cheaper to buy and to fill SSP's but is there a noticeable difference in the performance. For example, how would a IZH 46M compete with a Steyr all things being equal?
    All replies welcome
    Regards
    Chris

I agree with previous post - spend as much as you can afford on a decent modern pcp. A new one (Feinwerkbau, Morini, Steyr etc) can set you back over £1k but second hand ones come up from time to time at musch lower prices; you need to keep your eyes open. Try out as many different models as you can at your local club - you will find most 10m air pistol shooters quite accommodating and willing to advise. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice chaps. Bit of common theme developing here!

If you can try as many types as you can before you buy to determine which one suits you best. However remember with secondhand the grip may not be right for you and you may need to budget for a new grip as well. All the makes mentioned are worth considering with new values varying from £1,000 to £1,600, and secondhand prices varying between £650 and £1,000.

Another thing to watch out for is whether the pistol comes with one or two cylinders and check whether it is a standard or compact length barrel.

A good alternative to PCP is the Baikal IZH46M sold by York Guns, (new price approx. £470??).

Good luck
    Regards, Phil

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum. All the above advice is good and I think it's wise to visit wherever you can and shoot a range of pistols. You have a couple of good clubs with very accommodating members over in your direction. In the few year I've been back into shooting pistol I've gathered a small collection and tried others. Here's my experience.

Gamo Compact SSP, had one of these. Shoots well after a little fettling. Have shot my equal highest scores with this, very high 90's. Not particularly good build quality but does the job.

FAS 604 SSP, I've got two of these, and older one and a newer one. Excellent build quality, a lot of hand fabrication in these. Shoot extremely well and have fantastic triggers. Try BAR over in Blackpool for the newly released FAS 6004, no longer hand built but should shoot well, has the breeding for it.

TAU 7 CO2, I've got really nice examples of this model in .177 and .22. Both shoot spot on and have great triggers, they take 12g bulbs or can be bulk filled with the relevant adapters and bottles. Due to cooling and condensation they can be prove to rusting if you are not careful but both of mine are 15 years or more old and look good and clean and you can pick up equally good examples for £250, or so.

Steyr LP10, I've got one of these, bought second-hand for less than £1k, that's less than a year old with cylinders dated May 2013. Clinical and effective and I love shooting it.

All of the above will do the job, as will the IZH46M, but I've no experience of that.

Just out of interest I have a Drulov DU-10 5 shot semi-auto CO2 pistol that I use for rapid fire comps and it shoots as well as all of the above.

I'd get to some clubs and shoot some pistols and see what you like. Bargains are always turning up on the forums.

Good luck.

Mick

There's an Air Match 600 in the sales section with the factory case, sight elements & bits @ £250. Kind of comparable to the FAS 604, but with side lever cocking.

I've owned both pistols. Prefered the Air Match, due to it just being 'nicer' than the FAS, and the trigger on mine, which was my all-time favorite trigger of all time.

Steyr LP10

Hi Chris
    I started target pistol about 3 months ago, bought a nearly new LP10 6 weeks ago after trying a few others.
    Never looked back, I am shooting high 80's with it already, really impressed with it- when I do the cylinder up tight enough that is .

Cheers
    Craig

nickm marshal on here has a really nice SAM K14 for sale, designed by Cessari Morini, superbly accurate and well engineered pistol with great trigger and balance that is hugely underated so sell for sensible money, can easily match morrini and steyr on performance without the price tag, I have one and love it, great seller too, had a few bits off him and both items and service have been absolutely spot on.

Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply and share your experience👍
    Lots of borrowing to be done me thinks

Sam k14

Hi
    thanks Nige

My MINT SAM K14 is on Gunstar at the moment is its of any interest. lot of gun for around £550. also shown on bobsairguns

^ That's a good offer from nickm, I'd certainly be looking at that Chris.

Try as many types as you can to find the one you like best . I have a steyer and a Sam as I preferred their triggers to feinwerkbau's