Thread: Gem strip guide anywhere??

Thumbs up Gem strip guide anywhere??

Hi all

I bought a few 'rusty' actions yesterday, among them was a T-bar Gem style gun with the hexagon/round barrel that seems complete apart from the stock!!

The rifle is siezed and by looking through the cocking slot, is cocked too!, The spring looks compressed though I only had time for a cursory glance as I was late for work by taking the wrong motorway exit!!

Does anyone know of a strip guide for these guns?? I looked through the idiots guides by Gut and Phil Russel but the Gem isn't covered..

Along with the Gem I bought an Original mod45, a Prewar type or rifle similar to a BSA Standard but smaller (stock missing but I have a spare for just such an occasion!)

I also bought a Tracker Cylinder/barrel and another Gem barrel!!

All of them are rusty to a greater or lesser degree and will take some refurbishing!!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Pic of Original pleace

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi all

I bought a few 'rusty' actions yesterday, among them was a T-bar Gem style gun with the hexagon/round barrel that seems complete apart from the stock!!

The rifle is siezed and by looking through the cocking slot, is cocked too!, The spring looks compressed though I only had time for a cursory glance as I was late for work by taking the wrong motorway exit!!

Does anyone know of a strip guide for these guns?? I looked through the idiots guides by Gut and Phil Russel but the Gem isn't covered..

Along with the Gem I bought an Original mod45, a Prewar type or rifle similar to a BSA Standard but smaller (stock missing but I have a spare for just such an occasion!)

I also bought a Tracker Cylinder/barrel and another Gem barrel!!

All of them are rusty to a greater or lesser degree and will take some refurbishing!!!

Cheers, John
    I dont get it ? maybe becauce i am Danish is it a pre war mod 45 made after the war and markt Original ? never heard of this !! or is it made before the war and stamped Original ? never heard of that neither , i realy would like to se pics pleace

http://www.childrenswebmagazine.com/Images/dustbin.gif

Here's all you need for the gems Johnno

Quote Originally Posted by aircol View Post
    I dont get it ? maybe becauce i am Danish is it a pre war mod 45 made after the war and markt Original ? never heard of this !! or is it made before the war and stamped Original ? never heard of that neither , i realy would like to se pics pleace

Hi

Sorry! I was rushing and worded it badly!

I did buy an original mod45 action, the pre war bit was about another action that I bought which turned out to be a BSA light pattern gun!

Peter, thanks for the link, i'll have a read at break time (i'm at work at the moment )

EDIT!! Just looked at that link Peter!!

Cheers, john
    Last edited by johnbaz; 22-05-2014 at 06:02 AM.

I took a pic of the bits that I bought

Acquisitions

The Original mod45 won't cock, it's had an Ox spring fitted which I think is too long as it almost latches but not quite, I have another the same!!

The BSA Is a light pattern but has parts missing including sear, guard, loading tap and obviously, the stock!!

John

I remembered that I had a Lincoln Jeffries stock spare but a bit of the old stock bolt was stuck in the trigger block as some one had drilled and stuck a screw in snapping the head off!!

Had to drill it out so that I could remove the broken bit of stock bolt!!

I fitted the spare stock, it has a gap though and may need a little bit of whittling to make it fit better, or possibly the thread on the hundred year old bolt may need the thread file running over it!! (14tpi)..

Pic 1

Pic 2

I still need to source

Cocking link plus screw
    Sear + Trigger spring
    Trigger guard + Screws
    Mainspring
    Rearsight blade + Screw+ Spring
    Loading tap + Plate + screws

I may get it all together in about another 20 years!!

Oh and I need to refinish the stock and polish the pitting from the action!!!

Some bodges!!

Larger woodscrew for the underlever keeper! (and nail that I put in to stop the button and spring from parting company with the gun!! )

Woodscrew

What was left of the stock bolt!!

Threads

Drill holes on top of trigger block!

H blade rearsite

Empty load tap receiver

L9122

Decent screws

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I took a pic of the bits that I bought

Acquisitions

The Original mod45 won't cock, it's had an Ox spring fitted which I think is too long as it almost latches but not quite, I have another the same!!

The BSA Is a light pattern but has parts missing including sear, guard, loading tap and obviously, the stock!!

John
    Hi John,

The Gem missing its stock/etc, looks like an early model Jean Marck No2 with a short hooked spur off the trigger guard, which is quite mishappen...the other barrel looks like it is possibly off an Eisenwerke No16...

These are a doddle to strip, although that one looks like it would benefit from a week in a bucket of diesel ...just watch out for the little return springs under the Tbar and the sear.
    blah blah

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi John,

The Gem missing its stock/etc, looks like an early model Jean Marck No2 with a short hooked spur off the trigger guard, which is quite mishappen...the other barrel looks like it is possibly off an Eisenwerke No16...

These are a doddle to strip, although that one looks like it would benefit from a week in a bucket of diesel ...just watch out for the little return springs under the Tbar and the sear.

Cheers Dave

I presume the T bar return spring parted company years ag as it's not 'sprung' any more!!

I need to weld the lug as tapping the barrel open, I thought the piston was going back, it was actually stretching the eyelet!! it broke and will need repairing!

Strangely, the end cover unscrewed very easily after initially breaking the seal that years of rust/crap had made!!

John