Thread: FWB 3OOs

FWB 3OOs

Hi chaps I have just noticed that the cone seal is starting to disintergrate its not had much use in its life , do these seals degrade with time its the clear white type and will the buffer inside will be in the same state . I also have a 3OOsu with a green cone seal that seem's to be fine are these seal's better than the clearish whte one ATB Mike
    A few nice rifles

Quote Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
    Hi chaps I have just noticed that the cone seal is starting to disintergrate its not had much use in its life , do these seals degrade with time its the clear white type and will the buffer inside will be in the same state . I also have a 3OOsu with a green cone seal that seem's to be fine are these seal's better than the clearish whte one ATB Mike
    Yep, every original white one i have seen has been falling apart, they naturally degrade over time and the buffer could possibly be in the same sort of state. The newer type replacement breech seals are either blue or green and are probably made out of a better type of material, i think but may be wrong, but if the rifle is up to the mark velocity wise [usually around the 570-620 fps range] then the piston buffer should still be ok , like i say though, i may be wrong on that last bit...

If the rifle is fitted with the original breach seal it is very likely the other is also original, these deteriorate due to the original material breaking down & not through use itself, I would definitely change both as very unlikely the piston buffer would have been changed without the breach seal being that the later is far easier to fit, newer Polyurethane seals will last a very long time so a worthwhile exercise, john knibbs sells seals in modern material albeit in orange (just to be different),
    Good luck with it
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Piston buffer

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Yep, every original white one i have seen has been falling apart, they naturally degrade over time and the buffer could possibly be in the same sort of state. The newer type replacement breech seals are either blue or green and are probably made out of a better type of material, i think but may be wrong, but if the rifle is up to the mark velocity wise [usually around the 570-620 fps range] then the piston buffer should still be ok , like i say though, i may be wrong on that last bit...
    Afraid you are wrong mate. The piston buffer is there only to stop the piston slamming. The seal comes from a piston ring like a car.
    Best to get them both done as when the buffer does break up it can jam the piston and you are then in a bit of trouble.
    I cant post piccys but I am sending you a picture of the piston buffer breaking up.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Afraid you are wrong mate. The piston buffer is there only to stop the piston slamming. The seal comes from a piston ring like a car.
    Best to get them both done as when the buffer does break up it can jam the piston and you are then in a bit of trouble.
    I cant post piccys but I am sending you a picture of the piston buffer breaking up.
    Hell of a mess, is there an hole through the piston under the buffer, i think i saw a picture of a 300s piston without the buffer fitted and it had an hole straight through under where the buffer goes...

Hole

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Hell of a mess, is there an hole through the piston under the buffer, i think i saw a picture of a 300s piston without the buffer fitted and it had an hole straight through under where the buffer goes...
    No. if I remember correctly the buffer has a plug on the back of it which fits into a recess, but no hole all the way through.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

I'm with this, the piston seals are steel rings like an engine piston, never seen one wear out yet, the buffer breaking will cause the piston face to slam into the transfer port face which will do irreparable or at least very expensive damage if you continue to use long term, do em both and you'll have a great rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more