Thread: Bisley

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bisley

Was it good,bad,or indifferent?

At the last minute I avoided the Barry Manilow Concert as Mrs G went with friend who is a Fanilow.
    Nothing against BM but not keen on standing in cold and rain or two hours driving.
    Car park £15 muddy field!

Bisley

They must all still be there Patrick.

I have no comment because I was away and unable to attend, and I am still miffed to have missed it.

I was there early Friday. Fairly quiet but it did pick up a little after 12ish. The weather may well have put a few off.......it was wet enough for me to contemplate walking round with my crash hat on but I opted to buy a waterproof hat instead. So weather report over, what about the goodies on offer?

Not so many trading inside as per the arms fairs, apart from the usual dealers and to be honest I didn't think there was a particularly good selection of air guns either. However I did pick up a nice, as advertised... .177 1912 'Lincoln Jeffries'? Now this threw me a bit. It seemed earlier than that.
    So I haggled a bit, as you do, and paid up. A fair price I thought as long as it shoots ok as I was assured it did. I've purchased form this gentleman before and not been disappointed.
    What I have is a 5th batch December 1905 BSA. And it shoots really well!
    Naturally I had to buy another slip to take it home in. Who forgot to take a spare then!
    Many thanks to Peter from Lingfield for the loan of a waterproof inner liner ( long plastic bag LOL ). So I had a good day. Wet ride home though and thunder and lightning on the A3 was fun too. Had to reduce my speed down to 70, I mean what's the world coming too.

Carl

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    Not so many trading inside as per the arms fairs, apart from the usual dealers and to be honest I didn't think there was a particularly good selection of air guns either.
    Friday is always quiet - Saturday was heaving, there was no lack of traders as table space was totally sold out, loved the trigger release VZ58 - VIDEO

Enjoyed the fair but not many air pistols on the Saturday to catch my eye. A nice boxed Schimel, but £395 was too strong for me. An Excellent at £325, only the second one I have seen of those (I bought the first) A Tell 3 but I didn't even bother asking. Tidy looking Acvoke, and lots of Webleys.

Some nice firearms though, I can see a variation going in for one of the Anvil Conversions 1858 Remington nitro conversions. They were very nice indeed.

I went on Friday which seemed a bit quieter than previous years, possibly due the weather making it seem more like the Trafalgar than the Phoenix. Also attended on Sunday which was even quieter although the weather was much more like the thing. For me, It's always worth going just to see what Keith Bayliss has waiting to tempt my hard earned pension payment from my wallet !

Some nice air guns there though with a Tell 3 and a boxed Lincoln Jeffries Scout looking particularly desirable. I'm getting into Co2 pistols a bit and bought a nice little Benjamin 252 .22 pistol dating from around 1954 which is far more powerful and accurate than I would have imagined.

Regards

Brian

We went on the Friday and spent more on clothes for Josie than guns! Definitely something wrong there

I bought a few accessories rather than guns but even though there was nothing else to tempt me, there were numerous items there for collectors to ponder. Some of the rarities have already been mentioned - I also saw a nice Webley Mk3 with PH16M aperture sight as well as several Services, one cased (not an original case though). A beautiful Staudenmayer pistol made on the Girardoni principle was shown to me, which was out of this world, not to mention my price range. I also saw the Benjamin Brian mentioned, alongside a metal cased Crosman 150, which is probably my favourite CO2 pistol of all. I'm surprised to say this in all honesty but my view is based on performance as well as looks, not to mention the accessories which accompany my own pistol. I heard a tidy BSA Breakdown was bought for £100 on the Friday and saw several Milbro Cougars with intact forends no less. A good selection of vintage pellets on the Sandvoss stand alongside a boxed Cougar and what looked like a cased nickel EG pistol.

A good fair nonetheless and good chance to catch up with other collectors - sorry I missed you Carl.

J&J

I managed to sneak out from an overcrowded noisey drum, containing 9 offspring for a few hours on Sunday. Although two of the major airgun traders had only covered the first two days, there was still a fair amount on display.

Back in July

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    We went on the Friday and spent more on clothes for Josie than guns! Definitely something wrong there

I bought a few accessories rather than guns but even though there was nothing else to tempt me, there were numerous items there for collectors to ponder. Some of the rarities have already been mentioned - I also saw a nice Webley Mk3 with PH16M aperture sight as well as several Services, one cased (not an original case though). A beautiful Staudenmayer pistol made on the Girardoni principle was shown to me, which was out of this world, not to mention my price range. I also saw the Benjamin Brian mentioned, alongside a metal cased Crosman 150, which is probably my favourite CO2 pistol of all. I'm surprised to say this in all honesty but my view is based on performance as well as looks, not to mention the accessories which accompany my own pistol. I heard a tidy BSA Breakdown was bought for £100 on the Friday and saw several Milbro Cougars with intact forends no less. A good selection of vintage pellets on the Sandvoss stand alongside a boxed Cougar and what looked like a cased nickel EG pistol.

A good fair nonetheless and good chance to catch up with other collectors - sorry I missed you Carl.

J&J
    Hi John,

I have now added a nice Crosman 150 to my own collection which I must agree is a very powerful and accurate pistol if a little noisy to shoot. Iv'e just put it through the chrono using .22 Hobby pellets resulting in a very consistent 5.4 ft/lbs meaning it may get very near to the legal limit on a hot day. The metal cased 150 set certainly looked nice, but unfortunately I would struggle to find space for it at home.

As an aside, do you happen to know anything about the Benjamin 422 semi-automatic pistol which looks neat, but Iv'e heard reliability can be a problem.

Regards

Brian