Thread: Cadet Major

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

Cadet Major

I have been offered a cadet major... haven't seen it yet though. What do you all think if them ? Are they worth having and is there anything to watch out for ?

Steve
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    They are well-made little rifles, someone once said that every collection should have one.

I haven't got one at present but will buy one someday.

The only thing to watch for I think is the usual break-barrel issues relating to poorly trained youths and adult drongos accidentally pulling the trigger while the barrel is in the open position i.e. bent barrels and cracked stocks.

Ones that have been hammered for years without maintenance at funfair sideshows might have mechanical issues.

Otherwise a solid plinker and junior rifle. The build quality is higher than on the Meteor and so there are alot of them still around, so don't pay a fortune for it.
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 25-05-2014 at 06:51 PM.

nice rifles,i suppose the things to look out for would be a cracked stock running backwards from the cocking slot and bad pitting under the stock line.if the price is right then glueing the stock is not a problem. atb

Cool

I have a little Cadet but still haven't dropped on a Cadet Major yet

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Cadet Major - this was my first 'serious' air rifle I owned as a kid. I have two bought over the last ten years; good to have one in a collection. As already posted, look out for cracked or spit stock; a fairly common fault. Also these guns have adjustable trigger pulls - just make sure this function works when you check it over.

I had a Cadet Major as a Christmas present when I was about 11 yrs old back in 1957. Although I had wanted an Airsporter, with hindsight the Cadet Major was probably more suited to someone of that age. That said, I now have two and still enjoy shooting them as much as the Airsporter I finally got my hands on. There is no sound quite like that of a Cadet Major when the barrel is returned after cocking which never fails to bring the memories flooding back.

Highly recommended.

Regards

Brian

Cadet major

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a little Cadet but still haven't dropped on a Cadet Major yet

John
    John just sent you an email with my new Cadet major. Twas a bit rusty and bashed about when I got it But I managed to breathe a bit of new life into it. they really do shoot nice.
    Last edited by Peter Dunkley; 25-05-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I had a Cadet Major as a Christmas present when I was about 11 yrs old back in 1957.... There is no sound quite like that of a Cadet Major when the barrel is returned after cocking which never fails to bring the memories flooding back.

Highly recommended.

Regards

Brian
    There you go, it is poetry in motion. I want to buy one now!

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent
    Thank you all. As I recall the seller said no rear sights
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dunkley View Post
    John just sent you an email with my new Cadet major. Twas a bit rusty and bashed about when I got it But I managed to breathe a bit of new life into it. they really do shoot nice.
    Hi Peter

Hope you're well mate

Here's Peters refurbed CM, Must say, it looks lovely

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Do you have a pic of the whole gun Peter??

Here's my little Cadet, she could do with a reblue too!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Cheers, John

Cadet major

Piccy of whole gun on its way John.

Your stock is a nice bit of tree! Mine was just plain nearly white Beech with hardly any figuring.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Thumbs up

Piccy of whole gun on its way John.

Your stock is a nice bit of tree! Mine was just plain nearly white Beech with hardly any figuring.
    Thanks Peter!

here are full pics of Peters Cadet Major

Right side

Left side

A lovely gun is that Peter

John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 26-05-2014 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Cuz eye carnt spel proply!!

Cadet major

Thanks John for the kind words. I feel honoured that I have a springer that you don't.
    I have also just picked up an A series light pattern also which I know you don't have, very few people do.
    I know you are not really into these old BSAs but it's nice to be one up on the champ.

Thumbs up

Thanks John for the kind words. I feel honoured that I have a springer that you don't.
    I have also just picked up an A series light pattern also which I know you don't have, very few people do.
    I know you are not really into these old BSAs but it's nice to be one up on the champ.

Oooh!!

They sound nice I'm getting to really like the early 20th century Beesas

I have three and a half at the moment!!

regards, John