Thread: BSA Cadet major Scope rail

BSA Cadet major Scope rail

I was wondering has anyone got a cadet major that has been fitted with a scope rail, I know that a scope rail was never fitted to the cadet major from bsa, its one old rifle I would like to try with a scope and before I get shot down in flames I would only have a rail fitted to a rough gun as I would never alter a good condition bsa cadet major if any one has one I would like to see some pic's.
    JJJJJJ

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    I was wondering has anyone got a cadet major that has been fitted with a scope rail, I know that a scope rail was never fitted to the cadet major from bsa, its one old rifle I would like to try with a scope and before I get shot down in flames I would only have a rail fitted to a rough gun as I would never alter a good condition bsa cadet major if any one has one I would like to see some pic's.
    JJJJJJ

I have a mk1 Airsporter that I bought from an engineer, He drilled five holes in the top of the cylinder and milled a separate dovetail rail that goes atop it with (I think!) 4BA screws

I've not fitted it yet as I keep forgetting to buy some countersunk 4BA screws!!

By the way, The mk1 is .177 cal too

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, have a look at 111344438668 on that auction site, I have seen one of these and they are well made, but can't tell you the diameter of cylinder they fit at the moment (will update).

ATB, ED

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    JJJJJJ
    Here are some pictures of a 1930 BSA Standard fitted with a set of Mauser rifle sights and a scope rail.
    The rifle came to me with the Mauser sights on and some holes drilled and tapped in the cylinder where a previous owner had made an attempt to mount a scope. It looked as though the recoil had pulled it loose as the holes were damaged.
    I sent it to UK Neil and he re-tapped the holes and made a rail that butted up to the trigger block to stop it moving back under recoil it worked well but I thought it was a bit clumsy I think the old master craftsmen at BSA got it right all those years ago...Dave...
    Here's the link to the pics: http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/bsa_standard

BTW, If I remember correctly Eddie had a standard with a side mounted scope rail...

Get Drilling !

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a mk1 Airsporter that I bought from an engineer, He drilled five holes in the top of the cylinder and milled a separate dovetail rail that goes atop it with (I think!) 4BA screws
    John
    That is exactly what someone had done to my BSA Cadet ! but only 3 holes in my rail
    No pics though as gun was re-homed many years ago.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

I've not fitted it yet as I keep forgetting to buy some countersunk 4BA screws!!

By the way, The mk1 is .177 cal too

John
    Hi John
    I have a mk1 airsporter cylinder that has parker hale scope mount's fitted and a very nice job has been done of it to but unfortunately some silly s-- has cut the barrel off about 4 inches from the loading tap.

You do not need to ruin the rifle by drilling it. Find a piece of pipe the same internal diameter as the outside of diam of Cadet cylinder. Cut out a rectangular section out of the pipe the correct width of the sight mount clamps x the length you want. File a slight angle along the long sides of the steel to give you about 45 degree clamp for the mounts. Blue piece with G96 gun blue paste. Glue in position on rifle with Tiger Seal polyurethane. Leave for 24 hours and it will not move, but with a bit of effort you can get it off in future if you want to return the rifle to original.Clean any residue off with cellulose thinners.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    You do not need to ruin the rifle by drilling it. Find a piece of pipe the same internal diameter as the outside of diam of Cadet cylinder. Cut out a rectangular section out of the pipe the correct width of the sight mount clamps x the length you want. File a slight angle along the long sides of the steel to give you about 45 degree clamp for the mounts. Blue piece with G96 gun blue paste. Glue in position on rifle with Tiger Seal polyurethane. Leave for 24 hours and it will not move, but with a bit of effort you can get it off in future if you want to return the rifle to original.Clean any residue off with cellulose thinners.

Baz
    Hi Baz
    I have tried gluing a rail on in the past but not had much luck with it staying on.