Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain-fires & percussion revolvers.....

Chain-fires & percussion revolvers.....

...how DO they happen? Ever wondered how a flame can escape around a ball that took a deal of effort to seat in the tight chamber, slicing off a little ring of lead in the process and, more often than not, sealed in even more behind a glop of grease?

It doesn't.

It all happens from the back end, as you'll see in this www.muzzleloadingforum.com graphic night-time photograph of what REALLY comes back out of the nipple on firing.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu.../post/new/#NEW

Add the combination of loose-fitting caps and worn nipples, and VWALLA!

I have to admit that I've never seen in happen in well over forty years of BP handgunning, but then I ensure that everything on MY guns is good and tight, and most people over here don't shoot
    their BP revolvers enough to wear them out the way that some do over there.

However, it's always a good idea to check out any prospective purchase of a second-hand percussion revolver - just in case. A new set of nipples never hurt.

tac

Hmmm, I tried the link & just got a message from the forum "Your permission set does not allow you to be here."

Incidentally, on the subject of chain fires, this was interesting: http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/bps2.html - though I've no idea how valid the argument is

Thanks for posting that link Robpar, that was a *very* interesting read.

I thought that a rear chain-fire was caused by the flash setting off a loose fitting primer on the next chamber, rather than getting down the flash-hole where the primer was missing.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post

I thought that a rear chain-fire was caused by the flash setting off a loose fitting primer on the next chamber, rather than getting down the flash-hole where the primer was missing.
    ..And THAT, Sir, is precisely what is demonstrated in my link that, it seems, only I can see. Flash-over from one cap into the adjacent nipple flash-hole channel.

Sorry about that.

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Yes, it happened to the chap standing next to me on our range way back around 1998. Set off the two next chambers (not one either side, two on one side). No one was hurt and no apparent damage to the gun. He only stopped because the cylinder was jammed so he couldn't cock it. We were all beginner muzzleloaders then. He was using Pyrodex, no filler and no wad. We put it down to no wad. He continued shooting with wads like the rest of us and none of us have had a repeat experience since. Now I have heard various theories regarding is it ignition via the chamber mouth or the improbable loss of a cap followed by ingress of blowback through the fired nipple. Can't think of a way to determine which is more likely, or are BOTH possible? Dunno other than to point out that using wads seemed to correct the problem - or just lucky.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

I have learned

Mr Tac speaks with great knowledge and experience. You should take note of what he says.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by arsefactor View Post

This is what I have seen. My comments have been posted previously about this happening.

Several years ago I was stood next to someone firing a revolver, all the nipples had caps on them. I saw the flashover go from one nipple to the next when he fired the first shot and all remaing five shots fired off.

All my friend could do was hold the gun away and hope for the best. Me, I thought it looked great and watched it! With hindsight I should have dived for cover.

Thankfully the gun did not burst. Two of the balls tried to get out of the sides of the frame and bent it outwards, which probably relieved the pressure on the confined cylinders.
    The pressure bent the cylinder pin and the gun was write off.

I have never greased the balls on my revolver and I know a few other people who don't either. When you fire the gun the grease on the adjacent chamber is blown out and not as effective as you think at sealing the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Mr Tac speaks with great knowledge and experience. You should take note of what he says.
    Your cheque is in the mail.

I didn't know we were related!

Best

Uncle Tac

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps74851314.jpgthis is one of the pics of my pistol, you can see the flame out of the back of the cylinder
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Great photos airgunnut, really shows not only how a flame can jump across the nipples but the potential for real harm by holding the gun wrongly. ATB, Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps74851314.jpgthis is one of the pics of my pistol, you can see the flame out of the back of the cylinder
    'zackly so!

THIS nails it for me - a pic you can ALL see!

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...85#post2989885

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 29-05-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Thanks Uncle Tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Your cheque is in the mail.

I didn't know we were related!

Best

Uncle Tac
    Cheque received.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Nice pic. Is it my imagination or is the hammer in the cocked position?

Quote Originally Posted by martindl99 View Post
    Nice pic. Is it my imagination or is the hammer in the cocked position?
    Nossir - it is actually rebounding off the nipple as often does happen......

tac

Urban myth?????

More chance of winning the lottery! Sounds like a camp fire story to me.

Load of row locks in my opinion, has anyone GENUINELY witnessed such a mystic event??

Bit like hearing down the pub a blokes mate's neighbours car used to back fire and scared granny's cat into fouling the rhubarb patch, but only on a Sunday if it was damp.

Pish and tosh