Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain-fires & percussion revolvers.....

Also, I may be wrong but of all the second hand stories I've heard about it there never seemed to be a serious injury to the shooter which seems surprising?
    Or have I just missed the 'tales of lost fingers'?

The chain fire occurring from behind the nipples would seem to make a good case for the replacement nipples to use Shotgun primers wouldn't it? It seems that they would contain things a bit better? (Taking their extra pressure into account when deciding on charge I guess)
    It's all forgotten now, but Rockers and Mods only started fighting as the Rockers were annoyed at having some of their comments removed

Quote Originally Posted by pnuk View Post
    Also, I may be wrong but of all the second hand stories I've heard about it there never seemed to be a serious injury to the shooter which seems surprising?
    Or have I just missed the 'tales of lost fingers'?

The chain fire occurring from behind the nipples would seem to make a good case for the replacement nipples to use Shotgun primers wouldn't it? It seems that they would contain things a bit better? (Taking their extra pressure into account when deciding on charge I guess)
    It can't have escaped your notice that those chain-fires that do happen fire forwards, away from the holding hand. There is no reason on earth why there should be any 'tales of lost fingers'.

However, there have been cases of people with seriously damaged fingers from placing them in front of the cylinder whilst firing - tht sure can sting, as the Mythbusters programme on that subject showed.

There is a case for using shotgun primers, I guess, if you don't mind losing the authenticity of using the correct size caps on good-fitting nipples. To my way of thinking, such a step is sacrilege. But hey, I'm old and set in my ways.

You youngsters can do just what you like.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    It can't have escaped your notice that those chain-fires that do happen fire forwards, away from the holding hand. There is no reason on earth why there should be any 'tales of lost fingers'.

However, there have been cases of people with seriously damaged fingers from placing them in front of the cylinder whilst firing - tht sure can sting, as the Mythbusters programme on that subject showed.

There is a case for using shotgun primers, I guess, if you don't mind losing the authenticity of using the correct size caps on good-fitting nipples. To my way of thinking, such a step is sacrilege. But hey, I'm old and set in my ways.

You youngsters can do just what you like.

tac
    Thanks tac
    I saw the Mythbusters with the impressively shredded chicken finger. Sobering stuff.

Point very much taken on the nipples but much as I love authenticity if it would solve the caps in the mech problems it would be welcome.
    It's all forgotten now, but Rockers and Mods only started fighting as the Rockers were annoyed at having some of their comments removed