Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with silencers

Problems with silencers

Hi all this is my first thread so be gentle ! . I've been shooting and modding air guns for over 25 years , and never had so many problems as I'm having with a crosman 2250 Xl I bought for my son , I zeroed the scope at around 20 yards for my son to shoot targets in the garden and fitted a silencer that came with it because it quite a loud gun for plinking in the garden , using my aa field target pellets the grouping was all over the place , so I tried my whisper silencer even worse ! , so I got a second hand logun silencer ,I used 1 of these years ago and found it extremely good on a pcp , yet again it was bad , so I re crowned the barrel just in case re zeroed with out a silencer and it cut a hole the size of a 5 pence piece at 20 yards with 30 shots also fitted a hollow extended probe ( clutching at straws ) . Then refitted the silencer ! And shots all over the place 4 inch group if lucky ! . Even tried rws hollow and some other pellets and no difference. Can almost see the pellet swerve out of the barrel when the silencer is fitted ? . Please help has anyone else experienced this or know of a silencer that works on this gun with out effecting accuracy .

More than likely the alignment of the silencer to the flight path of the pellet from the barrel is off and the pellets are clipping either part of the silencer internals or the exit hole of the mod. Give the mod a shake and if it rattles or lead bits fall out then you know for certain it's shaving your ammo. If this is not the case then still have a look at the exit hole anyway and see if you can see signs of any impacts, or fire a pellet into a medium which won't damage the shot pellet and inspect the expelled pellet for damage.
    When you have determined that it is clipping you will then need to find out why - most likely is that the threads on the barrel/adapter aren't true, or that the adapter isn't fitted correctly, or that the bore is not central to the barrel, or there might be the possibility that you are using a .177 silencer on a .22 barrel.

Has it got a silencer adaptor fitted that you screw the silencer on to? That might be your culprit?

Shoots fine with the silencer adapter still on the gun it's only when the silencer is fitted , even found a old silencer and made it shorter by a inch or so it seemed a bit better ? So maybe it's just finding the right silencer / pellet combo ?

It is a common issue with the 2250XL

At the moment the silencer adapters are suspected as faulty.

Not sure how but all the guns I know of shoot fine until the silencers are fitted. Silencers used have been decent makes and proven on other guns.

Looks like a bad batch of adapters.

Wink

Thanks , just ordered a different silencer adapter ! Fingers crossed .

Hi Droidy,

I'll maybe be collecting mine in the next few days, once my local dealer has them arrive into stock, so haven't viewed one "in the metal".

So, even with the adaptor in place, do they seem okay until you actually fit the silencer? For the time being, this wouldn't bother me.

Does the adaptor just fit by means of a grub screw?

Any decent, but cheapish, alternative adaptors available as, at some point, I might want to try my HW silencer on it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi Droidy,

I'll maybe be collecting mine in the next few days, once my local dealer has them arrive into stock, so haven't viewed one "in the metal".

So, even with the adaptor in place, do they seem okay until you actually fit the silencer? For the time being, this wouldn't bother me.

Does the adaptor just fit by means of a grub screw?

Any decent, but cheapish, alternative adaptors available as, at some point, I might want to try my HW silencer on it?
    Yes the reports I have seen have shot fine with the adapter fitted, until a silencer is added. Then the grouping can go awry.

The barrel itself must be ok as it groups fine without a silencer, silencers tested were decent so the only real conclusion is the adapters, or at least some of them must be faulty.

I would avoid the £6 adapters and start with the Ronnie Sunshine ones at £11, or for under £20 you can get a nice custom steel one.

Or you could get a Matt Winser MWSS200 push on silencer.

Thank you very much for your advice and wisdom.

How's the Ratty business doing?

Some very pretty things on your site!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Ordered new adapter

I've ordered a new adapter should come tomorrow .then I'll do a load more testing with different silencers/pellets and report my findings , the adapter that come with it is held in place with a grub screw onto a flat piece of the barrel ! Just out of curiosity today I spun round the adapter 90 degrees and shot another 40 pellets and after a huge re zeroing vertical , it shot a constant group ? Go figure ?.

Thumbs up Update

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Yes the reports I have seen have shot fine with the adapter fitted, until a silencer is added. Then the grouping can go awry.

The barrel itself must be ok as it groups fine without a silencer, silencers tested were decent so the only real conclusion is the adapters, or at least some of them must be faulty.

I would avoid the £6 adapters and start with the Ronnie Sunshine ones at £11, or for under £20 you can get a nice custom steel one.

Or you could get a Matt Winser MWSS200 push on silencer.
    Hi just a update , I have had other responses to this but they don't seem to have been added ? , today I put on a shorter silencer and rotated the factory fitted adapter 90 degrees and re-tightened the grub screw also used rws super dome 14.5 grain , and cut a hole the size of a 5 pence piece from 20 yards . Best results so far ! Will be trying it with another silencer adapter once delivered

Red face Update

Hi new silencer adapter arrived and fitted , just bought a £5 one off jramsbottom ( before I read droid post). Pleased to say gun now works with any silencer I put on it can nearlly put pellet on pellet , so i would say deffinatly a manufacture problem with the fitted crosman adapter . Thanks for the replies

Excellent news and thank you for the update.

I'm ringing my local shop tomorrow morning to see if mine's arrived, and will collect on the way to my new club on Wednesday.

Hope it's here.......

2250XL Silencer Adapter

See from 3 mins 45 sec into the video below, this fellow had similar problems of poor accuracy and spiralling pellets with a silencer fitted on the 2250XL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2uQwheUV4

silencers

had this issue with many slip on type silencers and adapters. only option for me is a threaded barrel now. or in the case of my 2250 not using a silencer
    B.A.S.C. member