Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems with silencers

Is this problem with the standard ratcatcher 2250xl adaptor still ongoing or have later models been rectified?

Ive just bought one and would like to know which silencer to buy

I have the same problem with mine. Without the silencer its very accurate, fit itand i have two types and its all over the place.

Just replaced the stock silencer adaptor on mine for a cheap one from jsr. Cured the problem, had to re zero though. Not sure why can only assume the stock one is out of true.

Ratty zero issues

Hi all, I recently purchased a second hand ratty AS2250 which I think is the King ratcatcher, it came with a male fitting silencer with a largish push on adapter with the female thread, this looked a bit cumbersome on the small ratty so bought a push on adapter from JSR with male 1/2 thread and fitted my faithful weihrauch silencer.
    This gun was bought solely for close range (6-30ft) ratting in the stables at my permission and so far has worked well, but, when I set zero (scope BSA 1-4x24) at 30ft it'll do pellet on pellet no problem but when I check poi at around 10ft the pellet hits approximately 1/2 to the right in the vertical and at 20yds approximately 6" low and 2" to the left of vertical , I've no previous experience with a ratty but this performance is pretty alien compared to my PCP's!
    I've not chrono'd the gun as yet and this could explain the reason for the amount of drop at 20yds but the lack of accuracy in the vertical is strange.
    I have read there seems to be issues with ratty's fitted with silencers and haven't checked zero without a silencer fitted so chrono and zero check without silencer fitted is my next move.
    So, you guys with ratty experience what are your thoughts please.

Problems with silencers

Because the hw is quite a long silencer it needs to be perfectly central, you might get away with a shorter one better, but what I'd do is open the bolt make sure the gun is unloaded, first then shine a torch into the bolt hole while looking down the barrel with the silencer in place. This will show you if its out of alignment. Sometimes you can align adapters by rotating them till the silencer is properly central the repeat this with locktight on while the gun is clamped vertical till the locktight cures.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    Because the hw is quite a long silencer it needs to be perfectly central, you might get away with a shorter one better, but what I'd do is open the bolt make sure the gun is unloaded, first then shine a torch into the bolt hole while looking down the barrel with the silencer in place. This will show you if its out of alignment. Sometimes you can align adapters by rotating them till the silencer is properly central the repeat this with locktight on while the gun is clamped vertical till the locktight cures.
    Thanks junglie that sounds interesting, I'll try the gun with silencer and adapter removed this should give me an idea whether that's the problem or not, just hoping it's not a bent barrel!

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Yes the reports I have seen have shot fine with the adapter fitted, until a silencer is added. Then the grouping can go awry.

The barrel itself must be ok as it groups fine without a silencer, silencers tested were decent so the only real conclusion is the adapters, or at least some of them must be faulty.

I would avoid the £6 adapters and start with the Ronnie Sunshine ones at £11, or for under £20 you can get a nice custom steel one.

Or you could get a Matt Winser MWSS200 push on silencer.
    I got a silencer off Steve Darrel around 2006/7 and it was great. push on delrin. sdcustoms is his website. Steve is a great guy to deal with. could spend a month or twos wages on his page

j lost it one day and bought one off a matt that used to post on here. it was great also.

not sure if he is matt winser though.