Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Full power BSA meteor....

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    My masters are opening a new business and my manager had to swap a weekend with me and it bumped the Bash for me.. I'll have a look at the ad. Jon might be able to bring the stuff up to the Bash and do the swap. Will a 140 be allowed on site though?
    Happy to carry stuff up but I'd rather Al had a piccy to see the thing first - I'd not want to buy something I know nothing about on someone else's behalf.

Obviously now I'm an expert on meteors though

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Cheers - think it's a 5 or 6 - fairly modern. I might bring it along to the bash for when I tire of holding up TXs
    One finger cocking and I can shoot it at arm's length like a pistol
    I maybe wrong but I was under the impression that the Gamo Meteor was not related at all to the rolled and brazed cylinder earlier Meteor.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    I maybe wrong but I was under the impression that the Gamo Meteor was not related at all to the rolled and brazed cylinder earlier Meteor.
    This is defo the rolled and brazed one

This is defo the rolled and brazed one
    It must be a brummie meteor then

Whilst having a plink with it earlier this afternoon, I noticed the breach seal had a nick it it.. as I scraped it with my finger nail, it started disintegrating As it would happen an HW77 breach seal is a perfect fit, so in it went.

I now have a problem fairly unusual for meteor owners.. it's getting a bit too close to 12FP - around 11.7 with hobbies
    On the plus side though there is a faint whiff of combustion, so I'm hopping when the lube burns off it'll come down a bit...

Did some accuracy testing too with hobbies - pretty good I think (for a lightweight budget 80s springer with a heavy trigger) - consistent 3/4" groups at 30 yards

read before you trash

Don't machine for a barrel crossbolt
    Meteors are hollow their

Whilst having a plink with it earlier this afternoon, I noticed the breach seal had a nick it it.. as I scraped it with my finger nail, it started disintegrating
    Was it at the top of the seal by any chance? I recently changed the seal in my mk v (it also came out in tiny bits) because it had a nick that was rapidly expanding at the 12 o'clock position. I did the tissue test on it and it didn't really blow the tissue off, more like shredded it

The new one has done about 400 shots and has a little mark in the same position so I think some remedial work is necessary. I've already taken a file to the top edge of the back of the breech (does this have a proper name?) and thought I'd removed any roughness but there must be a tiny burr somewhere that I can't feel. Time to get some wet and dry out I think...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post
    Meteors are hollow their
    I've heard that before.

Obviously it's true, then.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Whilst having a plink with it earlier this afternoon, I noticed the breach seal had a nick it it.. as I scraped it with my finger nail, it started disintegrating As it would happen an HW77 breach seal is a perfect fit, so in it went.

I now have a problem fairly unusual for meteor owners.. it's getting a bit too close to 12FP - around 11.7 with hobbies
    On the plus side though there is a faint whiff of combustion, so I'm hopping when the lube burns off it'll come down a bit...

Did some accuracy testing too with hobbies - pretty good I think (for a lightweight budget 80s springer with a heavy trigger) - consistent 3/4" groups at 30 yards
    This has been documented quite a few times previously.
    When Steve Pope wrote his few articles for Airgun Shooter magazine, he advocated fitting a HW seal for the BSA break barrels, for better sealing and, hence, better efficiency.

Good result on the power and accuracy front, Jon. If it stays high-ish, maybe worth a little less spring, improving manners slightly and relieving that oh so simple trigger a little to boot, improving trigger feel?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Happy to carry stuff up but I'd rather Al had a piccy to see the thing first - I'd not want to buy something I know nothing about on someone else's behalf.
    No need to worry, Jon.
    I have given Al a detailed description and he's decided against it. Absolutely no worries. And, for my own peace of mind, I'd only really be happy if someone actually saw it "in the metal" and was buying / swapping knowing exactly what they're getting.

Only a week to our Bash!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitman View Post
    Meteors are hollow their
    Thanks for that.. won't do that then

Quote Originally Posted by 512k View Post
    Was it at the top of the seal by any chance?
    Yup, exactly... will check the top of the receiver face as you suggest - but it was clearly a very old seal as it was turning to dust, and the nick was very small

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    This has been documented quite a few times previously.
    When Steve Pope wrote his few articles for Airgun Shooter magazine, he advocated fitting a HW seal for the BSA break barrels, for better sealing and, hence, better efficiency.

Good result on the power and accuracy front, Jon. If it stays high-ish, maybe worth a little less spring, improving manners slightly and relieving that oh so simple trigger a little to boot, improving trigger feel?
    Damn, I though I just discovered something useful I only had the seal as it came with a vortex piston seal kit - I don't even have an HW

Tricky to bring it down as it's a bit bouncy, so chopping the spring will make it worse. Unless I chop and add more piston weight. Would rather find a new longer, slightly weaker spring.

So the trigger - what the deal there then ? Have not even looked at it yet, but I feel it needs some major work.. is there a standard approach to grinding bits off (usual caveats) ?

No need to worry, Jon.
    I have given Al a detailed description and he's decided against it.

Only a week to our Bash!!!!!!
    No probs... Yeah, just been in the loft and found enough gunslips to encase the 9 or 10 rifles I'm bringing. Don't want to go crazy

Tricky to bring it down as it's a bit bouncy, so chopping the spring will make it worse. Unless I chop and add more piston weight. Would rather find a new longer, slightly weaker spring.

So the trigger - what the deal there then ? Have not even looked at it yet, but I feel it needs some major work.. is there a standard approach to grinding bits off (usual caveats) ?

No probs... Yeah, just been in the loft and found enough gunslips to encase the 9 or 10 rifles I'm bringing. Don't want to go crazy
    Maybe a 77 or LGV spring?

The trigger's a very basic unit. You could carefully polish up the surfaces and fit a trigger shoe. Not sure if the Meteor experts have any more tricks that work??

I only have THREE gun slips. As I have so little time, UK Neil has kindly offered to do a couple of jobs for me on my Mark 1 77 and the Lazaglided Predator 80. Thank you, Neil.

So, with just the one slip remaining available, not sure whether to bring a .177 95 or the little 30S, as maybe many grown ups may not have tried put this little jewel......I spoke to the original owner the other day.....I thought it seemed even more ridiculously easy to cock than my other one...he had bought it as an indoor target shooting gun and has collapsed a coil or two and done a quick spot and polish tune. Will run it over the chrono tomorrow...if it's 6 or under, may leave it at home....7 or more means this may well be coming.

Maybe a 77 or LGV spring?
    You're joking... the piston ID is about 1/4" too small for anything like that - I've got nothing in my springs box

The trigger's a very basic unit. You could carefully polish up the surfaces and fit a trigger shoe. Not sure if the Meteor experts have any more tricks that work??
    Yeah, just looked at the diags online - least there's not much to polish ! Not sure I'll get time before the bash though...

I only have THREE gun slips. As I have so little time, UK Neil has kindly offered to do a couple of jobs for me on my Mark 1 77 and the Lazaglided Predator 80. Thank you, Neil.

So, with just the one slip remaining available, not sure whether to bring a .177 95 or the little 30S, as maybe many grown ups may not have tried put this little jewel......I spoke to the original owner the other day.....I thought it seemed even more ridiculously easy to cock than my other one...he had bought it as an indoor target shooting gun and has collapsed a coil or two and done a quick spot and polish tune. Will run it over the chrono tomorrow...if it's 6 or under, may leave it at home....7 or more means this may well be coming.
    Bring the 30 95s are a bit crap unstroked anyways. But mostly 'cos I want to try a 30, and for that matter a 50/99 Power is easy, no reason not to bring it...

You're joking... the piston ID is about 1/4" too small for anything like that - I've got nothing in my springs box

Yeah, just looked at the diags online - least there's not much to polish ! Not sure I'll get time before the bash though...

Bring the 30 95s are a bit crap unstroked anyways. But mostly 'cos I want to try a 30, and for that matter a 50/99 Power is easy, no reason not to bring it...
    Shame about the spring thing, didn't realise ID wouldn't allow.

Okay, will bring the delightful little '30S...I figured that there will be no end of full sized, top-end guns there, some standard, some spit and polish tuned, and some extensively re-worked. For anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of this delightful little rifle, it may be a little eye opener.

Okay, will bring the delightful little '30S...I figured that there will be no end of full sized, top-end guns there, some standard, some spit and polish tuned, and some extensively re-worked. For anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of this delightful little rifle, it may be a little eye opener.
    Got a minute to chrono it this evening.....5.5 ft.lbs. I'm not disappointed at this, as I spoke to the original owner who had hold me that he'd collapsed a coil or two, to reduce power for indoor targets.

But I won't get the chance to either obtain and fit a standard spring, or to try spacing it out. At this power level, it's simply not going to cut it much over twenty yards, no matter how sweetly it shoots.