Thread: Long Range - 210 yards with Kalibr Cricket .25

Long Range - 210 yards with Kalibr Cricket .25

Hi guys, raining every weekend when it stops we did this video on Sunday. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ8adEiAnA4
    Last edited by Horvath Brother; 04-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.
    Kalibr Cricket .22 Compact Tatical + Niko 6-24x56
    Kalibr Cricket .22 Std Walnut + Hawke 8-32x56
    Kalibr Cricket .25 Walnut + Hawke 8.5-25x42

Thumbs up

Obrigado!!

Nicely produced video - what power do the rifles run at?

Rgds

Mod
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Thanks for sharing, well produced and informative.

long shots

nice video guys good long shoots

Awesome shooting

Nice work, love the delay at those distances it all adds to the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojadog View Post
    Nice work, love the delay at those distances it all adds to the excitement.
    Think the vid is in slow motion. They don't take that long to reach even those distances.
    At 210 yard, if say the pellets were dropping approx 32 feet, that would mean the time taken for the pellet to reach the target
    from leaving the barrel would be about 1 second as the speed of gravity is about 32 feet per second.
    Last edited by Spitzer; 11-07-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzer View Post
    Think the vid is in slow motion. They don't take that long to reach even those distances.
    At 210 yard, if say the pellets were dropping approx 32 feet, that would mean the time taken for the pellet to reach the target
    from leaving the barrel would be about 1 second as the speed of gravity is about 32 feet per second.
    As a body starts at zero ft/sec you only fall half that in the first second... a drop of 32feet - comes out around 1.4 sec I think

Quote Originally Posted by Spitzer View Post
    The video subtitles do state that slow motion is being used.
    How has gravity got anything to do with the time it takes a pellet to travel 210yards? Surely it is the power of the rifle and the pellet used which affect the speed of the pellet to traverse the 210yards that are the relevant factors? If I look at Chairgun and plug in 12fpe using a .177 Bisley Long Range Gold pellet it takes 1.6 seconds to traverse 210yards on a level playing field. Where does the rate with which gravity affects a pellet come into that?
    Jim
    Last edited by Dagwood; 13-07-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    The video subtitles do state that slow motion is being used.
    How has gravity got anything to do with the time it takes a pellet to travel 210yards? Surely it is the power of the rifle and the pellet used which affect the speed of the pellet to traverse the 210yards that are the relevant factors? If I look at Chairgun and plug in 12fpe using a .177 Bisley Long Range Gold pellet it takes 1.6 seconds to traverse 210yards on a level playing field. Where does the rate with which gravity affects a pellet come into that?
    Jim

We were working out the time the pellet was in the air from the reported pellet drop i.e. Time = the square root of twice the distance of fall over g .

Fall reported as 32 feet. Therefore: twice 34 =64 divided by g (32ft/sec/sec) = 2 -> square root of 2 = 1.41seconds flight time - simples!

The error of course is the pellet was not fired at 0 degrees elevation... However given we did not know the power of the rifle a reasonable estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    We were working out the time the pellet was in the air from the reported pellet drop i.e. Time = the square root of twice the distance of fall over g .

Fall reported as 32 feet. Therefore: twice 34 =64 divided by g (32ft/sec/sec) = 2 -> square root of 2 = 1.41seconds flight time - simples!

The error of course is the pellet was not fired at 0 degrees elevation... However given we did not know the power of the rifle a reasonable estimate.
    I'm not criticising your maths when you calculate the time an item might drop 32ft under normal conditions, my point is that it doesn't take into account the projectile speed to the target. If I was to shoot the same rifle and pellet at a target 64ft lower than the firing point yet half the distance I would expect the pellet to take half the time and I wouldn't be using gravity to calculate the time taken for the pellet to get there. Of course, as you say if there is a significant difference in height there would be some inclination of the rifle barrel and therefore normal gravity calculations aren't entirely relevant.
    Forgive me if I am missing your point but I still feel it is distance and pellet velocity that are the main factors in calculating travel time and perhaps as you say it has turned out to be a reasonable estimate this time.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dagwood View Post
    I'm not criticising your maths when you calculate the time an item might drop 32ft under normal conditions, my point is that it doesn't take into account the projectile speed to the target. If I was to shoot the same rifle and pellet at a target 64ft lower than the firing point yet half the distance I would expect the pellet to take half the time and I wouldn't be using gravity to calculate the time taken for the pellet to get there. Of course, as you say if there is a significant difference in height there would be some inclination of the rifle barrel and therefore normal gravity calculations aren't entirely relevant.
    Forgive me if I am missing your point but I still feel it is distance and pellet velocity that are the main factors in calculating travel time and perhaps as you say it has turned out to be a reasonable estimate this time.
    Jim
    Gravity is a constant Jim - drop a stone with one hand and at the same time shoot a high velocity rifle with the other (at the same height above ground and zero elevation) and the stone and bullet hit the ground at the same time. OR drop a stone from 32 feet and shoot a rifle from 32 feet above ground and the stone and pellet hit the ground at the same time - 1.41 seconds after you drop / fire.

What velocity change does, is depending on which way you look at it, alter the time gravity has to act on the projectile for a given distance OR determine how far the projectile gets before it hits the ground: what it does not do is alter the time taken to hit the ground because gravity is a constant.

The calculation uses three elements g (gravity), d (distance fallen), and t (time). Know any two of these and you can work out the third - in this case we knew g and d so could calculate t.
    Last edited by Frog; 16-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Gravity is a constant Jim - drop a stone with one hand and at the same time shoot a high velocity rifle with the other (at the same height above ground and zero elevation) and the stone and bullet hit the ground at the same time. OR drop a stone from 32 feet and shoot a rifle from 32 feet above ground and the stone and pellet hit the ground at the same time - 1.41 seconds after you drop / fire.

What velocity change does, is depending on which way you look at it, alter the time gravity has to act on the projectile for a given distance OR determine how far the projectile gets before it hits the ground: what it does not do is alter the time taken to hit the ground because gravity is a constant.

The calculation uses three elements g (gravity), d (distance fallen), and t (time). Know any two of these and you can work out the third - in this case we knew g and d so could calculate t.
    I can't disagree with anything you say regarding gravity and the effect distance fallen has on time taken. I think the point I was trying to make, and possibly haven't made it very clear , is that I hadn't observed or heard that the distance the pellets dropped was " a reported 32ft" I thought it was just Spitzer who had introduced that figure in his first post. If I have missed that in the video then i apologise and have to agree entirely with your calculated time taken. To be honest, And I probably need to take another viewing of the video, I thought they were shooting up a slight incline.
    A good video and an interesting thread.
    All best
    Jim

Great Video!

I noticed you guys don't seem to shoulder the rifle for the camera, how do you keep the rifle stable without holding it against your shoulder?
    -Dave