Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Gravity is a constant Jim - drop a stone with one hand and at the same time shoot a high velocity rifle with the other (at the same height above ground and zero elevation) and the stone and bullet hit the ground at the same time. OR drop a stone from 32 feet and shoot a rifle from 32 feet above ground and the stone and pellet hit the ground at the same time - 1.41 seconds after you drop / fire.

What velocity change does, is depending on which way you look at it, alter the time gravity has to act on the projectile for a given distance OR determine how far the projectile gets before it hits the ground: what it does not do is alter the time taken to hit the ground because gravity is a constant.

The calculation uses three elements g (gravity), d (distance fallen), and t (time). Know any two of these and you can work out the third - in this case we knew g and d so could calculate t.
I can't disagree with anything you say regarding gravity and the effect distance fallen has on time taken. I think the point I was trying to make, and possibly haven't made it very clear , is that I hadn't observed or heard that the distance the pellets dropped was " a reported 32ft" I thought it was just Spitzer who had introduced that figure in his first post. If I have missed that in the video then i apologise and have to agree entirely with your calculated time taken. To be honest, And I probably need to take another viewing of the video, I thought they were shooting up a slight incline.
A good video and an interesting thread.
All best
Jim