Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measures

Powder Measures

I suspect this thread might kick off a bit, but here goes;

Having metered out some pistol charges in 777 into phials last night with one of these;

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...products_id=51

It seemed a little bit of a faff; spoon powder into the measure via a funnel, scrape off the excess (trying to not spill it everywhere), pour into phial. (Well, that doesn't seem too bad reading it back...)

Anyway, does anyone have a more streamlined way of doing things; I was wondering if I could measure the weight of a volumetric charge and then meter it out onto my reloading scales (but most kit has warnings re liberating Grendel with BP/substitute; bad idea I think and not sure how much time it'd save) or perhaps just rig up a calibrated dipper from an old case. I can't see the problem with this (once I've "worked up" a load and just want to duplicate it) as it'd still be measuring by volume.

Seems simple, but as I'm new to this shebang I thought I'd ask and keep Grendel at bay.

Use a powder flask with spout to load the phials, its what I do. Seems like double handling it, but its a lot faster way of doing it...

Sounds like just the job, thanks. Combined with a little powder pan with a pouring spout and I think it's sorted

How many different loads do you want? If it is only a small range of sizes, buy one of the flasks from Krank's with interchangeable spouts, along with several spare spouts, enought for the range of loads you want, and file them down to size as necessary. I have the standard 21, 24, 30, and I think a35 grain somewhere, all off the shelf. For my .44 Uberti, a 21 grain load with a .451 ball works really well on a 25 yard range. Otherwise, as you say, make up a series of different dippers from old cases. One guy at our club who was carp at metalworking lashed out the princely sum of £10 for a set of Lee plastic dippers, and cut them down to size with a Stanley knife, reckoned it was worth every penny. Whichever method you use, pour straight into the phials, I keep the empty powder flask in my black powder box with an anti condensation sachet courtesy of my local shoe store in it, the various dippers and spouts in a ziplock bag next to it. You pays yer money and teks yer choice as they say. Good luck and enjoy, whichever you do.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

Will almost certainly settle on just one load for the 1858- previous owner reckoned 23 was about the sweet spot but I'm starting at 20.

Point taken about pouring straight into vials- I cheaped out and bought a set off (£13 for 100 I think...) so will have to makes sure the flask spout fits OK.

Bench mounted powder measure (kept specifically for BP only) straight into vial

I can load a hundred or so in no time at all

Test weigh ever 10th one

Cheers

Roy

Have a look at the measure Jeff Tanner does.

http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=43

Bear in mind that the 777 website now states that you should only use one specific charge for any firearm (it lists BP pistols and rifles and their recommend 'dose') as well as saying that you must not use filler and only one wad.
    This has changed in recent years and is due to the fact that 777 unlike other propellants in very sensitive to how compacted or loose it is and different loads can lead to spikes of pressure.
    See here for info
    http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html#
    And here for load data (see cap and ball revolvers at the bottom) http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloa...?CHECKBOX_1=on

It wouldn't surprise me if not doing this would invalidate the ranges (and your own if you have one) insurance policy but that's another discussion.
    It's all forgotten now, but Rockers and Mods only started fighting as the Rockers were annoyed at having some of their comments removed

I can understand BP Pistols and Rifles, but Triple Seven is fine for several different charges in a shotgun, I try 50gr, 60 gr & 70gr charges...

Personally I think they're getting too in depth about this specific firearm load thing as there's several different makers of the same model gun... Especially revolvers

and at this moment I'm changing from using triple seven to black powder... Less fuss more smoke and half the price, im not complaining!

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    I can understand BP Pistols and Rifles, but Triple Seven is fine for several different charges in a shotgun, I try 50gr, 60 gr & 70gr charges...

Personally I think they're getting too in depth about this specific firearm load thing as there's several different makers of the same model gun... Especially revolvers

and at this moment I'm changing from using triple seven to black powder... Less fuss more smoke and half the price, im not complaining!
    I'm thinking of changing the other way but only as black powder is so hard to get hold of in these parts.
    Imelda

Quote Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
    I'm thinking of changing the other way but only as black powder is so hard to get hold of in these parts.
    Imelda
    This is the problem that most of us have - driving to Kranks is almost 250 miles return......

Where else has Swiss?

This is the one deal-breaker that stops me bringing my .54cal mountain rifle over here.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Bench mounted powder measure (kept specifically for BP only) straight into vial

I can load a hundred or so in no time at all

Test weigh ever 10th one.....
    That's what I do (with 777 in a Lee Perfect Powder Measure) - quick, easy & accurate

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    This is the problem that most of us have - driving to Kranks is almost 250 miles return......

Where else has Swiss?

This is the one deal-breaker that stops me bringing my .54cal mountain rifle over here.

tac
    Is http://www.black-powder.co.uk/ any closer for you?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Is http://www.black-powder.co.uk/ any closer for you?
    Hmmm, about 65 miles or so each way. Many thanks for that, Sir.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by pnuk View Post
    And here for load data (see cap and ball revolvers at the bottom) http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/muzzleloa...?CHECKBOX_1=on
    Their suggested 30gr load for the ROA always seems a bit hefty to me. I know the pistol can take it but for punching paper at 25yds, i get on quite well with 18.
    Steve