Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 577 enfield shooting question

Perhaps if you have plenty of alcohol on your breath it would work even better?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Paul Matthews formula for a saponified lube prevents the problem of hard fouling - Blow down the barrel after each shot and the lube residue softens
    I use the BPL (Black Powder Lube) that Andy Allwwod makes - about £3 the last 'stick' I bought (for stick think toilet roll sized tube)

Probably last bought one about 2 years agao - it lasts for ages !!!

I chuck about 25 or so minies in a sammich bag with about 1/2 tsp of lube and roll them around (the bag probably still has enough init to do another 25 !!)

Yes they are a little 'sticky' when shooting and you will need a rag with you but hey Black Powder shootin' IS a messy sport !!

Not many times I need to wash my hads BEFORE going to the loo !!! #

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Being THE definitive cheapskate, that is what I do, too.

I'm even doing it on my Youtube movie of me shooting my Musketoon.

tac
    Post the link to your video Tac, I would be interested in a view!
    Gordon H

Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Post the link to your video Tac, I would be interested in a view!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvCsmZPBUPY

tac

Video!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Cheers Tac, Great stuff!
    Gordon H

Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Cheers Tac, Great stuff!
    Yup. great stuff indeed, looking at it again reminds me that I've lost around forty pounds since that was tooked.

ROA all morning today!

Whoopee!

tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Not much of an expert on long guns, but I have a tickle in the back of the brain that tells me the MLAIC rules do not allow cleaning during a competition? I seem to recall a UK team got roundly beaten in Spain because they had not allowed for the elevated altitude of the range, and found that they could not complete the round due to fouling.

....or am I mis-remembering?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Not much of an expert on long guns, but I have a tickle in the back of the brain that tells me the MLAIC rules do not allow cleaning during a competition? I seem to recall a UK team got roundly beaten in Spain because they had not allowed for the elevated altitude of the range, and found that they could not complete the round due to fouling.

....or am I mis-remembering?
    Nope.

tac

It's probably your lube, you haven't said what it is or how you are applying it.

I use a mix of 50/50 beeswax and vaseline. Lube must be applied to the sides, NOT used to fill the base. I dip the bullets in molten lube, job done. Can fire 30+ rounds without cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I guess my bullets must be too large then. I can fire two without running a patch through but the third is too tight and feels like it going to get stuck. Also I noticed that crud must be accumulating at the breech end as I marked the loading rod when the first bullet was firmly seated and all subsequent bullets were seating higher, the third by 1/2". Decided not to shot any more until I check this out.

I mix up 50/50 beeswax and neat's foot oil, and pour it into a flat-based pan inwhich I have stood a number - usually 60-80 -of Minié bullets. I stop pouring when the gloop reaches the top groove. After waiting for it to set, I use a piece of brass tube that just happens to be the right diameter to slide over the bullet and seperate it from the lube. I've not found that any actually enters the base at all.

For 'Summer' [snigger] I just make the mix 60/40 instead.

tac