Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harper HW35 in .25

Harper HW35 in .25

A friend of mine bought one. He knows very little about these guns.

Can anyone fill in?

The barrel is bored out and sleeved with a brass .25 tube.

There is some work done to the stock, but not sure whether by Harper or some Don Robinson type (there is a heart - yes a heart - inset into the RHS of the stock on the other side of the cheekpiece)

It's not a particularly attractive gun.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Pictures speak a thousand words.

A thought occours- are you sure it's .25 (6.35) and not a 6mm airsoft barrell that some 'genius' has fitted?
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint.

Quote Originally Posted by demoncase View Post
    Pictures speak a thousand words.

A thought occours- are you sure it's .25 (6.35) and not a 6mm airsoft barrell that some 'genius' has fitted?
    No pictures, not my gun, just happened to see it when I visited.

Yes it is a .25. Harper regularly used brass barrels and seemed to be a fan of the calibre, from the little info around.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I met Mr Harper once, the barrels were some kind of 'micro-groove' liner that he would put into any gun you cared to mention. Including the Saxby-Palmer Orion air-cartridge revolver (modded Weihrauch/Arminus), which he was demonstrating. I think it might have been a bit 'hot' (alot hot) with the extra efficiency of .25, and while it actually recoiled a bit (blame Newton for that), it was jolly accurate.

A .25 HW35 sounds like a jolly good open-sights rat-buster for barn use.

One thing I noticed was that the barrel was shortened too, the front sight dovetails obviously not present. No barrel attachment at all, IMHO the whole thing does not look too pretty.

Hw35 .25

If it is the same as the one I had 25 pellets will be very tight!! Your friend may well be better off looking for BSA pellets of.243 size>

I would like to see a picture of this odd ball.

edbear2 Guest
    I have seen a 1930's BSA standard done the same way, in the same caliber...unfortunately the guy did not want to sell it

ATB, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by fenny View Post
    If it is the same as the one I had 25 pellets will be very tight!! Your friend may well be better off looking for BSA pellets of.243 size>
    Hi again fenny, how are you,

Did yours have a heart inset on the stock, a rosewood butt pad and grip cap, and a brass escutcheon where the stock sling swivel is? It has two Harper roundels by the rear of the cylinder too (one each side).

There were some other bits that the current owner said he removed.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Hi again fenny, how are you,

Did yours have a heart inset on the stock, a rosewood butt pad and grip cap, and a brass escutcheon where the stock sling swivel is? It has two Harper roundels by the rear of the cylinder too (one each side).

There were some other bits that the current owner said he removed.

Please can we have a picture, it sounds like a delicious example of bad taste and hideousness!

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I met Mr Harper once, the barrels were some kind of 'micro-groove' liner that he would put into any gun you cared to mention...
    In addition to the micro-groove rifling (less distortion of the pellet, better sealing?) the actual pitch of the rifling was tighter wasn't it?

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Please can we have a picture, it sounds like a delicious example of bad taste and hideousness!
    It's not that bad but there certainly are "unnecessary flourishes" as a certain Garvin would say.

Pic is very difficult no idea when I might visit this person again at his home and he lives in the dark ages, only just getting to grips with e-lec-tricity.

I think there was a hw80 .25 in either airgun world or airgunner in the 80's...... i can't remember which issue though
    them there springer's are soooooo addictive

superspin barrel

Quote Originally Posted by joffy View Post
    I think there was a hw80 .25 in either airgun world or airgunner in the 80's...... i can't remember which issue though
    I remember seeing these advertised by harper classic guns as a .25 conversion. I believe it was called the superspin conversion.
    The original barrel was sleeved with a brass barrel, and had more rifling groove twists per 12 inches than any other airgun barrel !
    Basically the pellet would leave the muzzle spinning twice as fast as a conventional pellet. This was claimed to aid accuracy.
    They also had 12 rifled grooves instead of the regular 6 or 8.
    He also did a four barrelled pistol with this conversion called a pepperbox. It used the brocock tacs.

Hope this helps. 😀
    Bsa Spitfire, Air Logic Genesis, Golden Gun, BSA Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    A friend of mine bought one.

There is a heart - yes a heart - inset into the RHS of the stock on the other side of the cheekpiece.

Did he buy it from a bloke in Falmouth, called Tinbum perchance ?

All the best Mick