Thread: Clay pidgeon shooting questions from a beginner

Clay pidgeon shooting questions from a beginner

Hi Guys, currently shoot .22lr but this sunday I am taking the old man down to the local clay pidgeon shooting range, Im looking at getting into clays as its very local and have friends into it, was wondering what you would recommend as a good beginners gun? 12 or 20 gauge? O/U or Semi auto ? as I said im a complete novice in the clay pidgeon field and would greatly appreciate your opinions and knowledge.

Cheers Jack.

markreid is offline Happy to be fishing and shooting
    Try as many guns as possible and find the one that suits and fits at your budget, personally I prefer a 12 bore, but depends on your preference both the 12 or 20 are more than suitable. What discipline you shooting sporting / skeet or trap ? As that may have a impact on what type of gun would suit
    There is no such thing as a dangerous gun, there are dangeruous people though

hello, go for a O/U 12 bore with interchangeable chokes, single selective trigger to suite your budget and weight / fitting of gun, a clay shoot would have a few makes and types to try. you dont need to pay a lot of money to clay shoot, remember the more bling/fancy stock/engraving the more cost. look at a LANBER or such like well engineered and will last for years of use. when i use to do clays in the 60/70s there was a lot of one upmanship if you understand but dont let that bother you, buy one you can afford/ fits nice/ and hits the target.
    Last edited by oldboyshooter; 11-06-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDavis View Post
    Hi Guys, currently shoot .22lr but this sunday I am taking the old man down to the local clay pidgeon shooting range, Im looking at getting into clays as its very local and have friends into it, was wondering what you would recommend as a good beginners gun? 12 or 20 gauge? O/U or Semi auto ? as I said im a complete novice in the clay pidgeon field and would greatly appreciate your opinions and knowledge.

Cheers Jack.
    hello jack, if you realy want to look and maybe try a few and not in to much hurry go to the game fair 18/19/20 july near oxford

Jack,

Go to a commercial clay ground and pay for a few lessons. It may seem that they cost a lot but it will pay off in the long run.

Rutty

Plenty of good advice already been given.

To add,
    I'd say buy a secondhand one that has been loved. I've always tried to do this and when it comes time to move onto another shotgun i've never lost too much money as there's always a market for quality items.

Best of luck

personally i would recommend a 12 gauge o/u , if you can master this every thing else is easy