Thread: Rogers and Spencer Hammer

Target Shooter is offline I'll give you three guesses...

Rogers and Spencer Hammer

Does anyone know where I could purchase a hammer for a Rogers and Spencer made by Euroarms? I've checked with Henry Kranks and they don't have any in stock and I'm not sure where else I could get hold of one
    Those entrusted with arms should be persons of some substance and stake in the country - William Windham
    Member of the YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Just spoken on the phone to Peter Dyson, sadly he doesn't have any in stock either, thanks for the quick response
    Those entrusted with arms should be persons of some substance and stake in the country - William Windham

e-mail them directly at info@euroarms.net I have purchased parts from several Italian replica manufactures over the years they normally take your debit card over the phone once you have contacted them by e-mail.
    Most of them have e-mailed me a contact name who can speak English with their direct phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    e-mail them directly at info@euroarms.net I have purchased parts from several Italian replica manufactures over the years they normally take your debit card over the phone once you have contacted them by e-mail.
    Most of them have e-mailed me a contact name who can speak English with their direct phone number.
    I take it that the component was imported from abroad then rather than a UK seller? I was originally going to purchase the hammer in the states, but after chatting to my FEO, I was told it is classed as a component part of a firearm and cannot be legally imported by an individual into the UK. I shall email them and see what response I get, many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Target Shooter View Post
    I take it that the component was imported from abroad then rather than a UK seller? I was originally going to purchase the hammer in the states, but after chatting to my FEO, I was told it is classed as a component part of a firearm and cannot be legally imported by an individual into the UK. I shall email them and see what response I get, many thanks!
    As I wrote before, it's true that this is a component part of a firearm, but so is a grip-screw or sight.

What it is NOT is a pressure-bearing component of a firearm, just like a grip-screw or sight.

I'd like to see the source of the information given you by your FEO - personally I think it's BS.

I've bought wedges for BP revolvers from Dixie Gun Works without causing an international incident.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    As I wrote before, it's true that this is a component part of a firearm, but so is a grip-screw or sight.

What it is NOT is a pressure-bearing component of a firearm, just like a grip-screw or sight.

I'd like to see the source of the information given you by your FEO - personally I think it's BS.

I've bought wedges for BP revolvers from Dixie Gun Works without causing an international incident.

tac
    I will second what Tac has said!
    I have imported complete locks from Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf also parts from Pedersoli without customs or anyone else showing any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post

tac
    I originally found this document https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299154/Notice-to-importers-2852-imports-of-firearms-and-ammunition-2014.pdf where sections 35 and 36 elude to the hammer being a possible component part. I emailed this authority who said they couldn't give me a definitive answer, I then spoke to my FEO who told me I am unable to personally import this component, but springs and screws would be fine. I was informed the only way to import one would be through an RFD

Edit: Seems that link doesn't work. It's found here ( https://www.gov.uk/import-controls ) under NTI 2852
    Last edited by Target Shooter; 12-06-2014 at 10:04 AM.

I then spoke to my FEO who told me I am unable to personally import this component, but springs and screws would be fine. I was informed the only way to import one would be through an RFD
    a friend ordered 2 springs for a rifle he has, and twice the springs have gone missing as soon as they hit uk soil!
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I've been requested to email a photo copy of my licence just to import some screws from the US but bought nipples from UK and US with no issues.
    Only my recent experience.
    Our club own a Rogers & Spencer that is scrap due to a split barrel and cylinder,been trying to get the allowable parts back from an RFD for two years and still not able to agree on which bits count,the parts are already spoken for if it happens though.

Take a look at this

the relevant sections are 82 to 85 and 95 to 98

This may also give you assistance Sections 15 16 18 35 and 36 are the relevant ones.

There appears to be no reason under UK law you cannot import the hammer from the US as your non commercial import for personal use should have the 'Domestic Authority' aspects covered by your license. The ITAR regulations may mean you have to jump through a number of legislative hoops (in terms of paperwork and a small processing cost) if the Feds have designated it under ITAR but it is unlikely to breach the $100 limit if it not specifically covered by ITAR.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GaleForceEight; 18-06-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added relevant information

Thanks for all the comments and discussion guys, I have luckily just had one arrive on my doorstep today from a donor pistol. I'll keep all this in mind should it happen again, which I hope it doesn't!