Thread: .58 musketoon loads?

.58 musketoon loads?

Hi all,

just dipping my feet into a nice .58 smoothbore musketoon, (parker hale) and wondered, without bothering of going down the road of black powder/explosive/H&S certificates powder box ,etc, of using 777 or another black powder substitute, and wondered if anyone out there had any suggested loads for using on the range, with ball or cast bullets?

many thanks

Try a load from a 50 grain spout to start with 777. I use 50 grains im my 50 Cal smoothbore, seems to like it with a patched round ball

When you feel confident enough up the load to 60 grains (60 grain spout). So long as you measure by volume and not weight you'll be fine.

I would say don't bother with a conical bullet (correct me if im wrong) because the bullet would tumble and be very inaccurate since you have a smoothbore, so a patched round ball would be more suited.

Cheers
    -Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Graysmoke View Post
    Try a load from a 50 grain spout to start with 777. I use 50 grains im my 50 Cal smoothbore, seems to like it with a patched round ball

When you feel confident enough up the load to 60 grains (60 grain spout). So long as you measure by volume and not weight you'll be fine.

I would say don't bother with a conical bullet (correct me if im wrong) because the bullet would tumble and be very inaccurate since you have a smoothbore, so a patched round ball would be more suited.

Cheers
    -Tom
    All good advice here.

Take it.

tac - Musketoon-owner since they were issue.

Cheers Tac! I may be young but i've learnt a bit about smoothies

Another great thing about a smoothbore is that if you're going to make your own lead balls, you can use salvaged range lead as the tin/lead consistency doesn't matter, and it doesn't cost a penny! Well, apart from the shovel and the sieve...

- Tom

Cheers guys, thanks for the replys and the advice.