Thread: Why won't my .17Rem shoot v-max bullets?

Why won't my .17Rem shoot v-max bullets?

Gents,

As some of you may remember I have a Rem 700LVSF riflewhich shoots Berger 25grn HP Match varmint bullets over 21grns of Vit N133 very nicely (around 1/4" at 50yds).

I tried a while ago some homeloads with the 25grn V-maxes and N133 and could not for the life of me get a group less than 1" at 50yds despite the rifle having a 1:9 twist barrel. A couple of you came back with the suggestion of pushing them a bit faster which I have yet to try, but in the Interim I picked up a box of the 20grn V-maxes and the bloody thing wont shoot them any better than the 25grainers - any ideas chaps?

Try heavier 30grain berger mef or match. Sure the 1-9 is a fast twist, standard sako 17rem was 1-14 twist. The 30grain are extremely good on fox. Push your zero to 100yards though.

Quote Originally Posted by the growler View Post
    Try heavier 30grain berger mef or match. Sure the 1-9 is a fast twist, standard sako 17rem was 1-14 twist. The 30grain are extremely good on fox. Push your zero to 100yards though.
    Hi growler - No mate the standard twist was 1-10 which was developed for the Hornady 25 grn HP,
    The longer bullets, such as 25grn Vmax and 30 grn Berger came later and required a tighter twist.

I have had exactly the same rifle - 17 rem LVSF - first thing I did was to free float the barrel by removing the stock pips it rests on. This instantly reduced the unexplainable fliers.

I would suggest a little more load development - definitely work up the load, you can probably go at least another grain - to a grain and a half.. but work up in small increments... 0.2 grains

I find that Rem BR 7, 1/2 primers are best in the 17 rem... so worth trying these if your not already.

it would be worth trying other powders - Vit 135 gives good results as do H4895 and Varget.

If your still not having any luck - The rifle needs to be checked out by a good smith.

ATB
    Alan

how tight a crimp are you using? that can make all the difference
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

My Fireball does not like them either, grouping 5 shots around the 1.5" mark.
    It puts Hornady 25 grain JHP into little clusters around 5/8" but i cant get these bullets so i use Berger 25 grain FB varmint, which are much better then the V Max but not as accurate as the Hornady JHP.

TB.

N133

Morning m8,I am using 22.2 gr of n133 so you should have room for more load development,BUT work up your load in .2gr at a time and you will find a sweet spot.
    Dave
    Cz 452 22lr,17hmr,rem 204r,tikka 223,styer 308,beretta 626e

Many thanks for the replies Gents:

The Growler - very happy with the Bergers, I'd just like to be able to use the V-Max as I now have a couple of boxes! 25grn for better BC and 20grn for faster velocity - I tend to mostly use the rifle for corvids and a 50yd initial zero gives me a 200yd second zero which is perfect for my needs, so dont really have a need for a 30grain projectile.

Sir Slots (after watching your vids you are my hero!) I have yet to pluck up the courage to remove those pips, but did raise the barrel by putting a cut-up credit card under the stock bolt which raises the barrel just a tad after your reply to a recent thread. This has definitely improved things in this area and tightened up the groups a bit. I will try upping the load a little when I get some time (although I didn't think this would be necessary for the 20grainers which are much shorter?) and currently use Federal 205 match primers which work well in all my other similar calibres. I didn't change the seating die when loading the V-Maxes and am running the Bergers quite close to the lands - do you think it might be worth backing them off a bit? Can I ask what COAL you are using with your 20 & 25 grain V-Max loads in your LVSF please?

Airgunnut - I dont think I'm putting any crimp on the bullet, just seating them I think?

Treebone - Maybe you're right and I should just stick with the Bergers - they work soooo well on Magpies!

Plonker - Thanks I will try upping the load a Little, but around 3700fps is all I really need as the rifle is mostly used at sub250yds.

All other opinions welcomed!