Thread: What Size balls for my ASM .44 Colt Walker

What Size balls for my ASM .44 Colt Walker

Now I have cleaned up the burrs from the chamber mouths of my Colt Walker the .451 balls just fall in some chambers, it would appear that it requires balls of .457 at least.
    Can you get a bigger size off the shelf if necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    Now I have cleaned up the burrs from the chamber mouths of my Colt Walker the .451 balls just fall in some chambers, it would appear that it requires balls of .457 at least.
    You might try out the easy-to-find .454" - .the .457" ball you mention are those used for the Ruger Old Army - usually exclusively - so you might find difficulty in locating them.

Ever thought of making your own? You don't need much in the way of equipment, and the saving is nigh-on unbelievable - around £1-50 a hundred instead of ten times that much....

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You might try out the easy-to-find .454" - .the .457" ball you mention are those used for the Ruger Old Army - usually exclusively - so you might find difficulty in locating them.

Ever thought of making your own? You don't need much in the way of equipment, and the saving is nigh-on unbelievable - around £1-50 a hundred instead of ten times that much....

tac
    £1.50? Interesting figure that got me checking my own cost. Lead- zilch. Scrounged from mates who want fishing weights now and then and have piles of old lead piping in their sheds; Equipment- bought in the eighties and now worthless but still working; Electricity-17.8 p per kilowatt hour. Takes an hour or so to make about 300 454 balls with a lee smelter which doesn't use much power after the lead is melted; Time- retired- who cares. The only way that I could make it up to £1.50/100 balls is in the beer I drink while I'm casting.

Sorry back to the thread. 454 work fine in my Rogers and Spencer although that probably doesn't answer your question.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    £1.50? Interesting figure that got me checking my own cost. Lead- zilch. Scrounged from mates who want fishing weights now and then and have piles of old lead piping in their sheds; Equipment- bought in the eighties and now worthless but still working; Electricity-17.8 p per kilowatt hour. Takes an hour or so to make about 300 454 balls with a lee smelter which doesn't use much power after the lead is melted; Time- retired- who cares. The only way that I could make it up to £1.50/100 balls is in the beer I drink while I'm casting.

Sorry back to the thread. 454 work fine in my Rogers and Spencer although that probably doesn't answer your question.
    Some people don't have pals with loads of FREE lead in their sheds.

Hence my approximate cost for somebody who has to buy it.

tac

I can purchase .457 lead balls from two sources these are Henry Krank who stocks Pedersoli Italian manufactured balls at £24 per 100 or for cast balls for £13.50 per 100 both of these prices include postage costs, which you have to include if you are going to get the true cost.
    To be honest I can't be bothered to cast my own,
    I am more interested in the chamber size problem, if a .451 ball falls under its own weight to the bottom of the chamber, is an additional .003" enough to ensure that the chamber is sealed well enough to prevent a chain fire?
    I use Wonder Wads and I don't have a problem with them, but with any muzzle loading revolver the first line of defence against a chain fire is all said and done the ball and it's capability to seal off the chamber.
    If necessary I will ream the other chambers out to match the size of the largest one, what surprised me was the different manufacturing tolerances they allowed that passed their inspection process if indeed they had one!

I can purchase .457 lead balls from two sources these are Henry Krank who stocks Pedersoli Italian manufactured balls at £24 per 100 or for cast balls for £13.50 per 100 both of these prices include postage costs, which you have to include if you are going to get the true cost.
    To be honest I can't be bothered to cast my own,
    I am more interested in the chamber size problem, if a .451 ball falls under its own weight to the bottom of the chamber, is an additional .003" enough to ensure that the chamber is sealed well enough to prevent a chain fire?
    I use Wonder Wads and I don't have a problem with them, but with any muzzle loading revolver the first line of defence against a chain fire is all said and done the ball and it's capability to seal off the chamber.
    If necessary I will ream the other chambers out to match the size of the largest one, what surprised me was the different manufacturing tolerances they allowed that passed their inspection process if indeed they had one!
    Chain-fires happen from the rear of the cylinder - worn nipples and loose caps mean that the flash comes back out and over into adjacent nipples and flash channels. If a well-swaged-into-the-chamber ball is in the wat, how can the flame get around it?

I recently posted a great night-time image of the back-flash showing exactly this. A .457 ball would certainly do the trick, but you might be putting excessive pressure on the loading lever in doing so - can't you get some to try off a pal with a ROA?

As for manufacturing tolerances, I'll only say that when the ASM Walker was new it cost substantially less than half that of the Uberti model. Like everything else, you don't get a Mercedes-Benz for paying for a Ford.

tac
    muzzleloadingforum.com

.457 Balls

Claypigeon61 -I have the same problem .457 balls are back breaking to load ,yet other smaller balls slide forward after the first shot fired .My .44 is converted to 12 gauge primers .I fear I may break the loading press, trying to load the 457 balls

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Chain-fires happen from the rear of the cylinder - worn nipples and loose caps mean that the flash comes back out and over into adjacent nipples and flash channels. If a well-swaged-into-the-chamber ball is in the wat, how can the flame get around it?

I recently posted a great night-time image of the back-flash showing exactly this. A .457 ball would certainly do the trick, but you might be putting excessive pressure on the loading lever in doing so - can't you get some to try off a pal with a ROA?

As for manufacturing tolerances, I'll only say that when the ASM Walker was new it cost substantially less than half that of the Uberti model. Like everything else, you don't get a Mercedes-Benz for paying for a Ford.

tac
    muzzleloadingforum.com
    Hi. Tac
    I had a look at your photograph could the spurt of flame from the percussion cap area be caused by the pressure in a chamber taking the line of least resistance and blowing a cap off a nipple before it moves the ball, as it doesn't have the hammer to support it and to add a bit more resistance against the cap being forced off by pressure trying to escape from the chamber.

As Tac says try and scrounge a few 457 from a ROA shooter

Failing that Andy has up to 460. http://www.tfsa.co.uk/bullets.htm

Cheers

R

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    As Tac says try and scrounge a few 457 from a ROA shooter

Failing that Andy has up to 460. http://www.tfsa.co.uk/bullets.htm

Cheers

R
    Hi. Harricook
    I managed to get some .457 balls off for £9-00 per 100 they are top quality which I didn't expect and I couldn't even see where the sprue had been cut off even though they were cast from soft lead.
    Item number: 301225443137
    Thanks for the url I will make a note of it for future reference.
    Would you be kind enough to have a look at some photographs of my original India Pattern Musket (Brown Bess) does the branding in the stock mean anything to a Canadian member, as far as I can ascertain it was one of 3000 sent by the Tower of London to arm the Militia in Canada when the war of 1812 was about to kick off
    It was made by Robert Wheeler in 1799 Tower Proofed etc.
    Link to Photographs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...7625353053007/

Fronteria try

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/

there are some members from Canada who will be able to help

Hi. Tac
    I had a look at your photograph could the spurt of flame from the percussion cap area be caused by the pressure in a chamber taking the line of least resistance and blowing a cap off a nipple before it moves the ball, as it doesn't have the hammer to support it and to add a bit more resistance against the cap being forced off by pressure trying to escape from the chamber.
    Ahah! You have got the point!! The pressure should NOT have been able to blow the hammer back like that - THAT is the sign of a worn nipple that should have been changed.

I've been shooting my ROA since 1986, and have yet to have a chainfrie - as the nipples are good and the caps are a tight fit, I don't expect to have one, either.

tac

Hi. Harricook
    I managed to get some .457 balls off for £9-00 per 100 they are top quality which I didn't expect and I couldn't even see where the sprue had been cut off even though they were cast from soft lead.
    Item number: 301225443137
    Thanks for the url I will make a note of it for future reference.
    Would you be kind enough to have a look at some photographs of my original India Pattern Musket (Brown Bess) does the branding in the stock mean anything to a Canadian member, as far as I can ascertain it was one of 3000 sent by the Tower of London to arm the Militia in Canada when the war of 1812 was about to kick off
    It was made by Robert Wheeler in 1799 Tower Proofed etc.
    Link to Photographs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...7625353053007/
    I'm trying to help you from the Canadian site on which I operate but nobody - including me - can see your images.

It would also be a good idea to split this out from the thread and post it as a stand-alone query - it really is a totally different subject.

tac
    www.canadiangunnutz.com