Thread: Air bottle advice needed

Barrie B Guest

Air bottle advice needed

Hi Guys,

Having just moved to Canada, I decided to bring my PCP's with me. I also brought my air cylinder too, but I now have a problem. I took my bottle to my local dive shop for re-filling. They said that I would need it testing and sent it away to the fire dept for testing. The fire department have come back to the dive shop and said they were unable to test it because it was from overseas. It is the older screw in type and not the a-clamp.

Do I now have to buy a new bottle and if so will my gauge fit. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Barrie

help

get in touch with midland diving im sure they do an adapter to convert to a clamp or if not they will be able to help

clubshot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barrie B
    ...The fire department have come back to the dive shop and said they were unable to test it because it was from overseas.

Regards

Barrie

This is the key and not the type valve is fitted. Each country has it's own set of standards like we have the Britsh Standard. I would think that if your bottle was not manufactured and 'stamped' specifically for Canada then they will never test it.

I had a similar experience here. Just prior to moving back to the UK after living in Malaysia, I purchased a 12 ltr 232 bar cylinder thinking I would be saving some money. It was an Australian made Luxfer. I couldn't get it filled or tested. Luxfor UK confirmed that the cylinder was manufactured to Aussie standards and not to British Standard and therefore couldn't be used in the UK.

Regarding your gauge fitting the screw in type is not an 'older' type rather than a different type (DIN Fitting). If Canadian cylinders are all the 'A-clamp' type valve then all you would need is the A-clamp. Your gauges, bleed valve & hose should still be OK.

Regards

Dave
    Last edited by dvdlock; 15-06-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Barrie B Guest
    Thanks guys,

I see now, not knowing much about these things I understand where your coming from. So Dave I should be able to use most of the stuff that screws into the bottle, I suppose if I take it to the dive shop they should be able to fix me up.