Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate to 'stir the semi auto nest' but...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    semi auto sub12 rifled barrel is not illegal, its just been agreed no one will bring them in and sell them...as no one wants to rock the apple cart.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    semi auto sub12 rifled barrel is not illegal, its just been agreed no one will bring them in and sell them...as no one wants to rock the apple cart.
    '5 Weapons subject to general prohibition.E+W+S.(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F8or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers— .
    [F9(a)any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger; .
    (ab)any self-loading or pump-action [F10 rifled gun] other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;

I've added the bold, but that's the law, as stated in the Firearms Act.

Just so we're clear.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    '5 Weapons subject to general prohibition.E+W+S.(1)A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F8or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers— .
    [F9(a)any firearm which is so designed or adapted that two or more missiles can be successively discharged without repeated pressure on the trigger; .
    (ab)any self-loading or pump-action [F10 rifled gun] other than one which is chambered for .22 rim-fire cartridges;

Just so we're clear.
    So why are we allowed so many pump action and self loading rifled barrel airguns then? Is it the law turning a blind eye?
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

There's also a pump action for sale on the same site. It's the original Logun S16, before it went to side lever format...
    With regard to the smooth bore barrel law, which I wasn't aware of, I wonder if that would cover a smooth twist barrel too.
    Plus, I have a spare .22 rifle slot on my FAC, I wonder if I could buy a rifled barrelled version.

It's all interesting me, at least for now.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    So why are we allowed so many pump action and self loading rifled barrel airguns then? Is it the law turning a blind eye?
    Definition. 'Rifled gun' being a rifle, not a pistol.

Sorry. It's very unusual for a law to make such a glaring mistake in terminology.

So why are we allowed so many pump action and self loading rifles then? Is the law turning a blind eye?

Edit: I'm not being facetious, and the above may read that way. But what about the aforementioned S-16, the Skan Rifles etc, they're pump action! The Theoben SLR stands for "Self Loading Rifle". There's nothing in the law about it being self cocking. That brings many others into dispute without even mentioning the Drulov DU10 Eagle 5 shot, true semi automatic target rifle. Ok, that's not full power, but again the law as written mentions no power limitations at all.

Are all these section 5 now?
    Last edited by tinbum; 30-06-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Why do people want sporting power semi-auto PCPs? Are they for suppressive fire against columns of armoured rats?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Why do people want sporting power semi-auto PCPs? Are they for suppressive fire against columns of armoured rats?
    I personally don't like multi shots of any sort. They encourage wastefulness and bring about dark humours of the soul. Have you ever met anyone with a multishot you liked?

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Sorry. It's very unusual for a law to make such a glaring mistake in terminology.

So why are we allowed so many pump action and self loading rifles then? Is the law turning a blind eye?

Edit: I'm not being facetious, and the above may read that way. But what about the aforementioned S-16, the Skan Rifles etc, they're pump action! The Theoben SLR stands for "Self Loading Rifle". There's nothing in the law about it being self cocking. That brings many others into dispute without even mentioning the Drulov DU10 Eagle 5 shot, true semi automatic target rifle. Ok, that's not full power, but again the law as written mentions no power limitations at all.

Are all these section 5 now?
    The SLR isn't 'self-loading', is it? You have to re-cock it to load it. Same for the S-16. Skan changed their design once the definition was clarified, and low-powered rifles aren't deemed to be a potential problem.

Of course there will always be interpretation based on perceived concerns, but the working definition has been established, along with a degree of latitude where this is deemed appropriate.

Overall, we have a workable law.

The SLR isn't 'self-loading', is it? You have to re-cock it to load it. Same for the S-16. Skan changed their design once the definition was clarified, and low-powered rifles aren't deemed to be a potential problem.

Of course there will always be interpretation based on perceived concerns, but the working definition has been established, along with a degree of latitude where this is deemed appropriate.

Overall, we have a workable law.

So its ok to own, buy or sell a sub 12fpe skan?

Crosman 1077/ Beretta CX4 Storm/ Crosman Nightstalker...? Many many retailers in the UK sell them as I've seen them with my own eyes. Are they some exception or is it actually the case that sub 12 fpe is exempt from this rule somehow? Or... is it their low power (sub 6 fpe) that allows them to exist. I hate the grey areas to all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by oling View Post
    Crosman 1077
    This one is not actually a semi-auto, it is a revolver mechanism dressed up in fancy clothes.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    '5 Weapons subject to general prohibition.E+W+S.(1)As an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council [F8or the Scottish Ministers (by virtue of provision made under section 63 of the Scotland Act 1998)], he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers— .

Just so we're clear.
    Sorry Terry, you've quoted the wrong section!
    You have quoted the FULLY AUTO section of the act not the SEMI AUTO part!
    The sentence immediately before your highlighted section says "without repeated pressure on the trigger" I.e. hold it down and it keeps firing automatically.

Please show us the correct section for Semi-auto?

Btw, how does a FX Revolution at 12fpe stand legally? Does the st barrel make it a smoothbore?

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Sorry Terry, you've quoted the wrong section!
    You have quoted the FULLY AUTO section of the act not the SEMI AUTO part!
    No I haven't.

It's Section 5: 1 ab. The previous line deals with full-auto, 5: 1 ab is what it describes. It is not the 'fully auto part'.

The FX Revolution is semi-auto, therefore regarded by the UK FX importer as prohibited.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Next question then...is a 'smooth-twist' gun rifled or smooth bore (with a twist )