Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Hate to 'stir the semi auto nest' but...

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    For the record; I believe everything that is done by the AMTA is in the interest of the wider sport, that Terry represents our best interest, and that there is no-one better than him in doing that. I mean no harm by disagreement over minutiae or in discussion of the overview of the whole. If it came to it I'd happily put an angle grinder through my Skan (my keyboard and my membership of the bbs) if it meant protecting our sport - but only if it was Terry that told me to before anyone starts
    Bravo! Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Bet they would after a few
    Just remember that the difference between a dog and a fox.....

....is about eight pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Edge View Post
    Idiots find it difficult to get FAC or SGC.
    Sorry, Rob but again I disagree. I know of plenty of license holders that shouldn't be allowed a pea shooter.
    Keep your nose relatively clean for five years, find a suitable piece of land and, providing you've not been convicted of a prior 'major offence', you'll be awarded a SGC/FAC. Where's the guarantee of responsible usage there?
    With the exception of a few, join pretty much any of the FaceBook shooting groups and you'll see the stupid comments and pictures posted by both air rifle and live fire users. Firearm developments still carry on, why shouldn't air rifle?
    Whilst irresponsible ownership and use of any gun is annoying and damaging to shooting sports in general, I can't agree that future developments should be put on hold or avoided because of the actions of these individuals.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Whilst irresponsible ownership and use of any gun is annoying and damaging to shooting sports in general, I can't agree that future developments should be put on hold or avoided because of the actions of these individuals.
    How about if those 'individuals' and their actions killed our sport stone-dead, Craig? How about if we don't show we can govern ourselves and we let the Government do it for us via licensing or a lower power limit, or a ban? What do we do when it's too late to take preventative action? What then, mate? I live and breathe this stuff, and I believe with all my heart that, 'It'll never happen to us' is a suicidal mindset to have.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Baxterbasics View Post
    What is AMTA's stance on Katie Price? Would they???

tempting but it would be pointless, bit like chucking a sausage up strand street

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    How about if those 'individuals' and their actions killed our sport stone-dead, Craig? How about if we don't show we can govern ourselves and we let the Government do it for us via licensing or a lower power limit, or a ban? What do we do when it's too late to take preventative action? What then, mate? I live and breathe this stuff, and I believe with all my heart that, 'It'll never happen to us' is a suicidal mindset to have.
    I understand totally, mate, I really do. And from our conversations, you'll know I've got my head screwed on (despite my pisstaking on here from time to time) - but you must agree that halting further developments, not only in the hardware but in the sport itself to safeguard against the actions of a few, would also be a massive disservice to ourselves.
    I honestly don't believe in the 'it'll never happen to us' mindset either, I do believe some sort of further control will come. Whether that control will allow developments as the one(s) being discussed here to flourish or not, is an entirely new thread that we could all reply to with a lot of 'if's'.

All the best , Craig

Sorry, Rob but again I disagree. I know of plenty of license holders that shouldn't be allowed a pea shooter.
    Keep your nose relatively clean for five years, find a suitable piece of land and, providing you've not been convicted of a prior 'major offence', you'll be awarded a SGC/FAC. Where's the guarantee of responsible usage there?
    With the exception of a few, join pretty much any of the FaceBook shooting groups and you'll see the stupid comments and pictures posted by both air rifle and live fire users. Firearm developments still carry on, why shouldn't air rifle?

Cheers, Craig
    If you have information regarding irresponsible use of firearms then you should inform the police not discuss it on the bbs. Can you imagine what the stupid users would do if they had an unlicensed semi in the cupboard. This discussion isn't about British companies getting a bad deal by being left behind because they can still develope the product for overseas markets. It's entirely about protecting the British public.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

... you must agree that halting further developments, not only in the hardware but in the sport itself to safeguard against the actions of a few, would also be a massive disservice to ourselves.
    I don't agree with that at all, mate. There is a TON of development going on that is great for our sport, and that will continue. What I truly believe, is that the greatest disservice to ourselves and our sport would be to stand by and allow its destruction.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Can you imagine what the stupid users would do if they had an unlicensed semi in the cupboard.
    If they are "stupid" users, wouldn't they do exactly the same things if they had a licensed semi in the cupboard
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    If they are "stupid" users, wouldn't they do exactly the same things if they had a licensed semi in the cupboard
    No, because the police would know who has one and be able to knock on a few doors fairly quickly, which may well apply the required brake on the dickheads before they do anything too stupid.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    No, because the police would know who has one and be able to knock on a few doors fairly quickly, which may well apply the required brake on the dickheads before they do anything too stupid.

Cheers

John
    Right - I didn't think of that.

I wonder who will have identified it as a semi-auto? - or perhaps the police will just round up all license holders in the area to be on safe side.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post

Cheers

John
    John is more or less spot on. The point being the police have access to who has what but that goes out the window if semi auto airguns became an over the counter gun. You have to remember that FAC is strictly controlled so numbers are low.
    You can spend thousands and still miss a barn door or spend just enough and enjoy yourself. If you haven't got the talent to start with a million pound won't fix it. Whippet, Russell, a few bang sticks and a flat cap. http://www.smart-tech1st.co.uk

If you have information regarding irresponsible use of firearms then you should inform the police not discuss it on the bbs. Can you imagine what the stupid users would do if they had an unlicensed semi in the cupboard. This discussion isn't about British companies getting a bad deal by being left behind because they can still develope the product for overseas markets. It's entirely about protecting the British public.
    I don't have time to inform the police about every irresponsible, gun-related balls up I encounter. I believe my own FAC would be questioned if I called my FLO, complaining about something else I'd heard somewhere that I didn't agree with...
    How can you say 'the police' are aware of every irresponsible act committed by a FAC user and are therefore able to 'knock doors?' Unless they are present at the exact time of the irresponsibility, it's impossible. To say FAC users are all polishing their halos is ludicrous. There are some that shouldn't be allowed near spud guns, never mind military grade hardware.
    That Fast Fire pcp that's mentioned on the current, 'rat gun' thread is reputed as being one of/the fasted actioning rifles currently available. How many incidents have there been with that? And is there one person on that thread, cautioning other users about the usage of it? No, not one. They're all praising it's capabilities to perform a certain role, much the same as a few on this thread are doing about other possible developments.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    You mean anti-tamper? .
    I was hoping that the furore and sensitivity over this issue on this forum had died by now, as I have a question about the topic. However, it seems that I'll have to wait for some time until the ban is lifted.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Cheers

John
    That policy worked out really well for handgun users....