Thread: Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 10x42 for HFT

Hawke Sidewinder Tac 30 10x42 for HFT

Certain company gave me 10% off on my next order so I splashed out on Hawke sidewinder tac 30 fixed zoom 10x42. Paired it up with my HW98 and had a go at HFT event at my club. Zero 15 & 35 yrd parallax 25 yrd. I was hitting those 8 & 10 yrd reducer targets although they were still fairly blurry but I could make out the kill zone unlike with my previous scope (cheap one) my score average was significantly higher then what it was before. Targets from 15 to 45 yards are very clear without changing the parallax (my at 25 yrd) as per HFT rules. Overall I am very pleased with the build and the lense quality and very much looking forward to using this scope for years to come

I have replaced the same type scope after 16 months use.
    There is a major issue with the model.
    The adjustment for the turrets is 35 moa each way.
    However it does not take much to loose the full circular image in the scope.
    After some struggling and adjustment I contacted Deben and sent the scope back to them under warranty. It was a faulty design but at the same time it was not a fault as all that model had the same problem.
    They reported back to me that ALL the 10x42 have the same problem.
    They refunded the present value of the scope and I paid the extra to get a variable 4.5-14x42.
    The variable range do not suffer from the problem and have excellent optics .
    I must say that through Uttings and Deben I did have excellent warranty service.
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

Quote Originally Posted by manxteddy View Post
    I have replaced the same type scope after 16 months use.
    There is a major issue with the model.
    The adjustment for the turrets is 35 moa each way.
    However it does not take much to loose the full circular image in the scope.
    After some struggling and adjustment I contacted Deben and sent the scope back to them under warranty. It was a faulty design but at the same time it was not a fault as all that model had the same problem.
    They reported back to me that ALL the 10x42 have the same problem.
    They refunded the present value of the scope and I paid the extra to get a variable 4.5-14x42.
    The variable range do not suffer from the problem and have excellent optics .
    I must say that through Uttings and Deben I did have excellent warranty service.
    Graham
    Hi Graham,
    I own one of these and rate them very highly, but are not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you have a limited movement of adjustment before you get a shadow? If so a lot of other very good scopes suffer from this as well, and it is just a limiting factor rather than an issue.
    I have noticed this effect on a very nice Falcon Menace I had, but didnt consider it a fault rather than a limitation that all scopes have to some degree, that you may have to adjust for on certain gun and mount combinations.
    Thanks,
    Dean.
    BASC

Hi Dean
    Thanks for your comment.
    It is a shame that this problem occurs on the 10x but not the variables.

On some mount/ rail combinations this happens but when you consider the price range of these scopes it should not occur .
    Prospective owners should be aware of this.
    Using Leupold QRW mounts it is an issue.
    Cheers
    Graham
    Designer of BASC Logo

reading with interest as just bought a 10x42 and not aware of this potential problem ( to be 100% honest not exactly sure what the problem actually is) but will bear in mind when testing
    rgds
    craig

Scoie , I think it is just a matter of it might be more limited in its turret travel compared to some scopes. I have had two of these scopes mounted on five different air rifles, and never had this issue, even on a Pro Target on home made stepped mounts.

I am not dismissing the poster of the problem, but feel that it is more of a limitation than an issue. Thats my take on it, although I would be interested to see if others had come across this. I believe that on a centre fire or rimfire it might be an issue, where you need more travel for increased trajectory over longer distances.
    I have only had this issue once on a 4x14x44 ffp menace, and I managed to get over it, and I would buy another of those without hesitation. Thinking back that was a barrel alignment problem anyway.
    I use a couple of Sightron 10x42 scopes for HFT, and although the TAC 30 10x42 is not quite as solidly made as the £550 Sightron, they are a pretty good alternative. Obviously they are not Sightron glass either but very good for the price. They are very bright and a nice clean image with one of the best rets out there for hunting or HFT. I used mine for hunting for quite a while, and it was a lot more usable than I thought for chasing squirrels through trees, and medium to long range rabbits with a .177 sub 12 ft air rifle. Mine has a dodgy illumination switch but apart from that its very good and i have used over 50 different scopes over the years.
    If you can live with a 50mm front end, the Nite eye is a viable alternative with the same glass and reticle.
    As a medium priced HFT scope this would still be one of my first choices to recommend for any budding new HFT shooter. The main issue that I have heard is that some people have complained of PX error, but unless you buy something like a 32mm objectice or MTC connect, then you will get some PX error in most scopes with a 40mm objective and bigger.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 29-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    BASC