Thread: Junior Target Pistol advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Junior Target Pistol advice needed

Hi,
    having gt back into more shooting I've got an 8m indoor area to shoot in and my 12 year old (nearly 13 as she keeps telling me) has now got really keen on her HW40 Weihrauch I bought her a couple of years ago as she's previously only been able to use it when we go away once a year camping.
    Trouble is she finds it really hard to cock so constantly has to keep passing me the pistol and I can see that although I'm there for safety she'd rather be able to load it herself.
    I like a gas ram or springer but wonder if there's anything else that would make a good target pistol as she is really keen to take up 10m target and I want to encourage it.
    Not to keen on PCP for reliance on a gas bottle although a multi shot would have it's advantages but really not keen on CO2.
    Any good advice on one that would take her through competitions (if she got to that standard) would be ideal.
    Thanks
    Mark

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    If your daughter is really serious about 10m target shooting, the ultimate destination is a PCP pistol. The Hammerli AP20 is lightweight, multi-adjustable and will take a Walther 3-axis wooden grip or a Rink custom grip at a later date. The compact pistols from Morini, Steyr, Benelli and Feinwerkbau are all serious match pistols and are lighter in weight, more suitable for junior shooters.

In terms of CO2, it is worth looking at Brno Aeron pistols as they are of alloy construction rather than the steel of the Tau-7 and are subsequently lighter.

Most springers or SSP demand a reasonable cocking effort which takes its toll during a 60 shot match; even Feinwerkbau 65, 80, 100 and 103 models can be hard work.

It would be worth making contact with a local club for advice, coaching and the opportunity to try different pistols.

I hope this is useful; please pm if you want details of the pistols I have mentioned - I will pass on links to you.
    ATB
    Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

The Tau 7 junior is VERY good. It also uses 12gr bulbs so there's no hassle.
    Imo the Tau 7 jr is the ONLY real junior pistol out there (weighs about 750 grms!!). Others are just the fullsize with pistol smaller cilinders and/or shorter barrels fitted.
    If she's serious about target, than spring isnt a real option. Besides that, it'll probably give similar issues as with yr HW40. As will other SSP's.
    So imo, the best value for money is co2.
    You dont need pcp. Certainly not for a 12yr old to start out with.
    Multishot has only downsides for 10m target, no advantages.
    ATB,
    yana

Many thanks

The alfa proj piatol is also lighter than a TAU 7 as it is built on a alloy frame and is just as accurate.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

But Tau is the better pistol of the 2. I had both. Better trigger, better grip, better balance. The Alfa is way too light upfront and has a grip size of a pencil; too thin.
    ATB,
    yana