Thread: MPL Results July - December 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6M pistols are very good

Sorry - this should have been a reply with a quote from George commenting on how well Frog is shooing with his 6M - but I may as well fill the spot I have made by sharing my observations about the Model 6 target pistol.

The very first Original Model 6 pistols came with a one piece moulded grip (usually brown coloured) that gave a fairly "military" grip and they shot very well indeed - I used one to score my first ever "possible" at 10 meters when at the Exmouth Air Pistol and Rifle Club back in the 1970's.

I bought a Model 10 to replace it when that came out as the new "top of the range" model from Original and although it looked fantastic and felt really good I never shot quite as well with it as I did with that Original Model 6 - and I never scored a "possible" with it either.

Just as the first Model 6 was a recoilless version of the similar Model 5 that shared the same grips, the last variants of this pistol to be made (with a more slanted grip) also had a lot in common and looked much like each other but one variant of the slant grip Model 6 shared the same barrel as the Model 10 and this is the one that Frog is using - the Model 6M.

The Model 6 air pistols always had a shrouded front sight that could take different sized and shaped front sight elements. This shrouded front sight assembly was deemed to be illegal for use in some of the bigger shooting competitions as it was not considered to be a truly "open" sight, and so the barrel was taken from the Model 10 and fitted to the Model 6 to overcome this technicality for those that wanted to shoot a Model 6 in meetings that would have previously banned them.

I guess some organisers were concerned that a lens of some sort could be easily placed inside a shrouded front sight and so they banned them all and made it easy to see that an "open" front sight could be clearly seen on any pistol in competition use.

None of this concerns us with the MPL competitions as the rules have been designed to encourage all classic target weapons to get back into regular use - including all of the Model 6 variants.
    Last edited by zooma; 29-09-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.