Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commonwealth Games - Who's going?

Commonwealth Games - Who's going?

Are any AirgunBBS users going to the Commonwealth Games shooting events at Barry Buddon?

I would be happy to meet up with AirgunBBS users who are attending either as competitors, teams, officials, staff, journalists or spectators.

The variety of shooting events is much wider than at the Olympics and it's in a scenic location.

Quote Originally Posted by Powderfinger View Post
    Are any AirgunBBS users going to the Commonwealth Games shooting events at Barry Buddon?

I would be happy to meet up with AirgunBBS users who are attending either as competitors, teams, officials, staff, journalists or spectators.

The variety of shooting events is much wider than at the Olympics and it's in a scenic location.

I would like to go if I can get there - just to see everything.

Can you let me have the dates and advise where Barry Buddon is?

Thanks - Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I'm sure all the tickets have gone by now. All sports over subscribed.

You can have a look for tickets here on the off chance something becomes available, but I wouldn't hold your breath, Shooting is well oversubscribed thanks to the local interest (Scotland are likely to do reasonably well in the medals, though I know a few Welsh shooters who fully intend to break some Scottish hearts ).

It goes without saying - do not bother turning up without a ticket, there won't be a box office doing entry on the day.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Good luck getting tickets!! Barry Buddon range is in the middle of nowhere and access is far from great from what I have heard. One of the members on here is representing Scotland at 50 pistol, I'm sure he will identify himself if he so wishes.
    ones to look out for; Mick Gault who hopes to add to his massive CW Games medal tally. Kristian Callaghan who is making the jump to senior competitions in Rapid Fire having medalled at Junior Olympics. Coral Kennerley is representing Wales in air pistol having shot a pb in an ISSF world cup this year.
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

And from Sunny Surrey we have...

Full-bore – Parag Patel (unlike the Olympics they still shoot the big stuff in these games)

Small-bore Rifle & Pistol – Lina Jones, Victoria Mullin, Kenny Parr & Hannah Pugsley.

Good luck to all those taking part.

The shooting events will take place on the Barry Buddon Rages, an MOD training area located 14 miles north east of Dundee. They are next door and adjacent to Carnoustie Village and the world famous golf course of the same name. The full-bore range runs alongside the south east boundary of the golf course for its entire length. The Commonwealth Games ranges will be temporary and have been installed by the same contractor who built the ranges for the London Olympic Games.

The competition schedule has been changed for this Games and now follows the Olympic format - only individual ISSF events with the addition of 50m Rifle Women. There are no team or pairs matches (except full-bore). The schedule is therefore 5 days only – 25th to 29th July which will be demanding for both shooters and officials.

Barry Buddon ranges are at Carnoustie. Access seems easy by public transport from Dundee and Arbroath. CWG tickets include free rail and bus travel from Dundee or Arbroath to Carnoustie.

There's no car parking at Barry Buddon except for officials, teams and the disabled.

I am staying at a youth hostel in the centre of Dundee.

Looking forward to visiting Dundee which has some attractions that sound interesting (Tay Bridge, Discovery, DC Thompson HQ).

I missed seeing the Olympics in 2012 so I was keen to go to this event.

Also, a chance to show my support for the continued health of the shooting sports in Scotland despite the current threat of airgun licensing proposals.

Not sure if tickets are left but the CWG website will have details.

I have some spare tickets if anyone off AirgunBBS wants to meet me up there and come in with me.

Which events do you have spare tickets for?
    Fierynick

+Keep Calm and Shoot Tens+

I will double-check and let you know what events are on.

Commonwealth Games

Apparently there aren't many para Olympians going to be present

Heidi

No, they're kinda busy at the IPC World Championships in Suhl, Germany which is 18th-26th. Granted, they could rush back in time to spectate the tail end on the 28/29th, but once you count travel time, etc probably not worth it.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Very excited to go see the Womens Air Pistol tomorrow. Its brilliant up here, if you go into the town center in Dundee there are Commonwealth competitors (who are all participants in the shooting sports) just wandering around

Sounds like a good atmosphere, Savantguarde. Three of us are travelling up in my car tomorrow and will be overnighting in Dundee before going to the events at Carnoustie on Saturday morning.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

TV

To those not going there is some coverage on TV, BBC red button five channels, or sat chanels 990 to 995.

Mens air rifle final today, 14.30 to 15.30 Red Button 4, chanel 994.
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Woman's ap quali was very good! Sitting watching the men's air rifle qualifying and Heena Sidhu is sitting right in front of me! As she qualified 1st for the woman's ap I don't wanna bother her for shooting tips. But you cant say you don't get close to the athletes!